What's blooming?

sirmatthew(4 - Iowa)June 14, 2013

What an ODD year! Spring was very strange in NW IA. It's June 14, and I have a sprinkling of Iris blooming. My peonies are either close to opening, if they are in a sheltered spot, while others are either not going to bloom or they have rather small sized buds. I know it was REALLY dry here, and I did have a few peonies die off, along with a ton of tulips and daffs, I am on a well, and with the reports of wells drying, I stopped watering in August. Just wondering how everyone else is faring around the state.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
715rose

This area,south east Iowa had severe drought last year. This year in April & May we got more than enough rainfall to make up for it.Had lots of flooding in Cedar Rapids & Iowa City & other spots.In my particular area we could use an inch or so of rain. Heavy precip
tends to skip us,but so does bad storms(knock wood)..Makes me uneasy & hoping this lack of rain isn't going to be the trend.
My iris & peonies were about 10 days later. Peonies were gorgeous because it was cool & we didn't happen to get a hard rain to spoil them.Tulips & daffodils & hyacinths were really nice.Oh,and the lilacs were more beautiful than I've ever seen them.
The daylilies,which I have lots of,are very lush & loaded with scapes.In fact they are so lush that for the first time I have some aphid on them. Grrr.

Rose

Bookmark   June 17, 2013 at 5:13PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nat4b(4)

Rose, what's the name of that peony? (I'm trying to identify similar looking one).

NE IA. Everything is late this year. Peonies were good, just finished, I have 1 flower left. All bloomed. I had other plants that died though. Roses (I have 2) just done blooming, and now daylilies are starting!
So far so good in regards to rain. I didn't have to water anything this year yet :)

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 1:45PM
More Discussions
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
bamboo
There is a type of bamboo that grows wild in iowa....
Lifeguard10
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
Wintering Plants
I have a couple of questions: 1) I have two pots of...
jbb2179
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™