oakleaf vs paniculata

miclino(5)May 10, 2010

Posted this in shrubs forum but was advised to do it here.

I have a 3 x 3 ft spot right by the front door with eastern exposure and shade in the afternoon. Perfect for a smaller hydrangea which is the one thing I don't currently have. I thought of oakleaf pee wee/little honey but at the nursery was tempted by the nice upright look of the paniculata. This would work better for me because it would stand out from the back of the garden.

Problem is, all the paniculata's I saw have about a 5-6 foot spread and grow fast. Can I confine it to the space mentioned above by pruning?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unprofessional(5)

There are some miniature paniculatas, like Little Lamb and Little Lime, which you might check out. Those you could more easily control. Things like Limelight would get way too big for you, even if you were pruning them down every year.

Personally, I think you would be fine to go with an oakleaf - they're impressive in their own right, especially once they fill out. Either way, you'll get a nice plant.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:35PM
ditas

Glad to see you here ml - posted this for you in the Shrub Forum ...

BTW, ml - I severely pruned *Little Lamb* Hp, to the tall center canes ... an experiment on redesigning (nature vs nurture) ... too early to tell what shape creature he turns out to be. I'll post pix when he fills out & flashes (before & after) ... he is fast filling out on both ends, top & bottom (crown)!

& yes, do check out Lil Lime! Â;)

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 11:12PM
ditas

Me again - perhaps posting pix of the 3x3 site w/ the constraints you mentioned in the Shrub Forum, will help w/ suggestions/help.

FWIW

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 10:41AM
miclino(5)

Dita,
Thanks for all the info, I have decided to go with oakleak little honey. Aside from the space contraints, I realized I already had plenty of flowering plants and the foliage was important. I'm just not sure I liked the foliage on the paniculata. I will lose out on winter interest but thats ok with me.
Have already ordered the plant and based on yours and others descriptions, really looking forward to it. Thanks.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 5:44PM
More Discussions
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
nonconformist_nymphette
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™