Identification of plant/weed

winifredJune 3, 2006

Hello out there, I am fairly new to this whole gardening thing and would love some help with two plants that have appeared in my flower beds that I am not sure if they are actually flowers that I don't recall planting, and/or weeds that I need to get out of there.

I am going to try and post the pictures on my personal page here on this website, hopefully they will show up.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
winifred

Not sure how to add link, if anyone can help in that regard, I have photos, just not sure how to load them.

Bookmark   June 3, 2006 at 9:03PM
tannabanana

Hi there!

I put a link below from GW that should explain how to upload pictures. I use Photobucket to host my pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: posting pics on GardenWeb

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:16PM
tannabanana

Ooops! That link doesn't give very good info (if any). Try this one.

HTH!

Here is a link that might be useful: real info on posting

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 9:28PM
winifred

Maybe these will help in my search of whether I should pull or leave alone. Thanks Tannabanana, that photobucket works very well. If you need more pictures, let me know, these plants are just outside my office window in my bed and I can reach my webcam out the window and snap a few more if needed. Any help is appreciated.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/smallplant.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/picture2bigplant.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/wecabc/MyPicture012.jpg

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 9:37AM
winifred

Here are a few more photos and a better link then before. Again any help would be appreciated, if possible. Thanks to all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants that need ID

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 4:35PM
tannabanana

I hope you get an answer soon! I had a VERY similar looking plant come up from some echincea seeds I had planted (they were from a packet that I got at a local garden center). It obviously was nothing like the others so I let it die - I wonder if it would have been something fantastic? Or just a weed like my husband suggested ;)?

Bookmark   June 8, 2006 at 5:05PM
whatcheer(z4 Ia)

It looks like a spider flower to me(Cleome).The flower is cool and I would keep it. They will reseed their selfs. Check this pic out and see if that is it.
http://www.oldhouseweb.com/gardening/garden/visuals/clehaa2h.jpg

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 9:02AM
dirtdoctortoo(z4b/5a IA)

Were these there at all in the early spring? How tall are they getting? Hellbores overwinter. The foliage doesn't appear to have enough substance to be a hellebore. They really do look like cleome. Its a cool flower. they get 3-4 ft tall. I bought plants of it for my garden. I hope it reseeds for next year.
Maria

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 2:06PM
winifred

Hey, this just might be the cleome that two of you said it looked like. I don't actually recall planting any cleome, but yes they are pretty and they do stink and have the prickly spines as described by some other websites on the cleome. When do they shoot up the stalks that hold the flowers? All I have is what would be the base. Thanks for all your help.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 12:45AM
whatcheer(z4 Ia)

It will be a few weeks yet for blooms. You might have had some seed blow in from a neighbor, or even a bird. They are a neat plant. I hope that's what you have.

Bookmark   June 15, 2006 at 10:17AM
l84tea(IA Zn5)

Yikes at first glance I thought it was marijuana! I am not sure what it is!

Bookmark   June 17, 2006 at 12:57PM
winifred

Thanks to everyone who helped. I am definitely sure that these plants are the Cleoms as I got my first flower bloom over the past two days. Will take more pictures later this week and post them for all to see once they are all in bloom. Thanks again. I have learned so much just from reading the posts on this site as well as going to the many sites/research areas listed by all of those interested in the same thing, gardening.

Bookmark   June 20, 2006 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Potato Onions..
Hi All, I have been looking into perennial onions and...
gaiamech
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
Peach Tree for Iowa
What would be a good variety of peach to plant here?...
iris321
wanting to kill grass and weeds.
I live in south east Iowa. I fenced in an area for...
Iowacass
About Dipstick!
Hi All, Does anyone know if this comes with the watering...
IrrigationSystem00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™