Concerned about Kyushu Tree ~ help ...

ditasMay 9, 2011

Hello - I was trimming some dried twigs from Kyushu tree & noticed holes on the dried up thick cut-off branches from the center limbs ~ they were hollow as well. Would like to hear your thoughts please!

TIA

Here is a link that might be useful: Kyushu Tree Concerns

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a)

The center part of the stems is soft, the outside is more hard and though; given time, the center will decompose and give you a hollow look. I would be concerned of some insects (borers, etc) drilling into the main stem via those holes though.

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 4:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Good Morning Luis ~ Thank you for your thoughts! I did not observe any sap bleeding anywhere around the area of concern nor did I see any suspicious insects. Last season there were tiny ants around & all I did was put some ant-hotels around the base of the tree.
When I took a few sticks I trimmed to show the guy at the nursery along w/ these same pix I posted, I was told to just trim off all the dried branches & did not advise to do any treatments. I might take these pieces of sticks to another nursery for a second opinion.
If you look at the 2nd pic - some canes are crusty but the younger thick canes are smooth as expected.

Thanks again!

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™