Blue Frost H Serrata ...

ditasMay 18, 2011

Hello Lacecap lovers ~ I'm so thrilled to report that 3rd season BF serrata is loaded w/ cluster buds ~ I'll have to start serving him more AM stiff coffee!!! So excited I deed my rounds ~ not a single one other has any clusters to show!!!

Next to Limelight BF was first to really green up & full as well!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rmac78

Hi ditas, can't wait to see pics! Can you tell my where you got your Blue Frosts. I'm from around the dsm area, am I anywhere close? Thanks

Bookmark   May 19, 2011 at 11:24PM
ditas

Good Morn'g Mac ~ Got him from DSM Seed Nursery ~ was developed by Hines Nursery a Korean dwarf H serrata. I got it for my hubby for Pa's Day in 2008 I planted in a N facing foundation. Blooms started out pink ~ Steve suggested due to the closeness to the garage wall & the alkaline effect. So for the 1st season I gave him just 1 treatment of Al'm. sulf & followed bys daily drinks of coffee. In the past 2 seasons just coffee drinks & he produces blue clusters!

Because he is planted between 2 houses & we are NW facing I do give him a cage w/ dry leaves protection ~ my best performing H serrata! I hope Steve can still get it for you ~ you'll be happy to add him in your garden!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Frost ~ since 2008

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:43AM
ditas

Hi again - click on specific pic to see closely ~ & sorry for the too many pix I keep a pictorial journal to leave to a grand-dau later!

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:47AM
bobbygil(7)

Hey Ditas if you want to try a really early Hyd Serrata try this one http://www.specialtyornamentals.com/product-profile.php?ID=40. The deep purple blue will knock ya socks off

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 2:10PM
ditas

Thanks Bobbygil ~ I checked all three serratas at the site you posted ~ unfortunately 2 were not for my zone & the 3rd didn't have flowers to show & foliage is yellowish!

I have several serratas I call Divas in my piece of soil + 2 Nikkos that require serious winter coats!!! My DH thought I should just stick w/ less demanding royalties!!! 3 other H serratas I have are as well full of little clusters at this point ~ each stem has a finial ~ so exciting!!!

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:31PM
More Discussions
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Limelight and Quick Fire make great companions!
I love how the lime blooms of my Limelight go with...
ostrich
Anyone use shrub covers to overwinter in zone5?
I was looking at ways to protect my hydrangeas next...
jager1
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™