Can ES hydragea tolerate full sun in Chicago area

vivian_2010May 23, 2010

I live in the north sub area of Chicago. I planted 5 ES this spring. 2 of them got almost full day sun (morning to ~4 pm). We are having our first hot summer day (~90F)I noticed that they wilt. But after watering, they will recover. I do not have much shaded area to move these ES to. I am hoping that after the first year and after roots are established, they will be ok. Should I keep these ES or return them for something that is more tolerate of full sun?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
masshydrangea

Once they are established, they probably will survive the full sun. However, they probably will wilt on every hot day, and they might not flower as profusely as if they received some shade. If the wilting bothers you, you should return them. If not, then enjoy. :) I myself have about 10 ES in mostly sun. The ones that receive more shade have many more blooms, but those in the sun have some too.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 7:12PM
anitamo(5)

I just moved one this spring to a morning sun only location, since it never did well in it's fuller sun location. It's in it's fourth or fifth year, can't remember exactly. I've already noticed how much better it's doing with more shade...and it didn't wilt at all today!!! We hit mid 90's, too. I'm about 20 miles west of Chicago.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 9:47PM
vivian_2010

Thanks for your comments. I will keep them where they are and see if they will be more tolerant of sun next year. If not, I may need to move these two ES to some place with more shade.

Bookmark   May 23, 2010 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
No Time To Winterize Endless Summer
I did not have the time to winterize my endless summers...
DDhydrangea
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™