lots of roots, plants still small

tabbycat123March 13, 2008

Im new to hydroponics and recently built a dwc system with some seedlings (basil, pepper, cosmo, arugula...what was on hand). They have been in the system for a little over 2 weeks and im not seeing much growth from the plants themselves but the roots are growing great. just wondering what this means, if anything, if it is normal or what i can do to stimulate more plant growth. maybe im just impatient. im using fox farm grow big for nutrients. thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iliketoast

I've only grown basil hydroponically. It did start quite slow, but that may be normal. It took off after about a month. Peppers are slow as heck too, so it may just be that you are impatient (aren't we all! :))

If you want to jumpstart growth, adding more nitrogen will likely do that. But I bet your plants are just settling in and will have explosive growth in about 2 more weeks.

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 4:40PM
AndyA(6 Indiana)

What is your light source?

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 5:01PM
tabbycat123

i have a 600w future brite, but the light has been messed up lately, turning off every so often. how could this affect the plants?? thanks

Bookmark   March 14, 2008 at 10:18PM
AndyA(6 Indiana)

Lots of good light>>>>>big plants

Not so good light>>>>>not so big plants

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 12:34PM
iliketoast

I disagree. If the light it turning off, it will tend to make the plants taller and more leggy than if it was working properly. Plant a seed or move a plant into a corner of your garden room that doesn't get any light to prove it if you don't believe me. The fact that they are staying compact is a sign that they are getting good light imo.

That is, as long as the color of the leaves is still typical. I don't know what cosmo is (other than a magazine my wife reads) but are the rocket, basil and pepper leaves all a deep green color? If so, I stand by the 'wait and see' idea I offered earlier.

Bookmark   March 18, 2008 at 11:36PM
More Discussions
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
organic hydroponic ferilizer
I am looking for a good source for organic hydroponic...
little sur farm
Need advice on how to sell indoor hydroponic equipment
Hi there, I live in Western Colorado and have a large...
Robin Palmer
Hydroponic blueberry, blackberry and raspberry
Hallo, has anybody tried black-, blue- or raspberry...
tomato_tom
Who Else Has Vertigro Stackers?
I'm curious how many people are using Vertigro Stackers...
twisted76017
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™