Golden Elder

uicricket(z5 IA)July 1, 2005

I have 3 golden elder I'm putting in this weekend. Does anyone else have elder? I don't know much about them but read an article saying they were good for birds and need a lot of space. I'm trying to create better critter habitat.

I have a lot of space and a lot of birds, but not a lot of knowledge. Do elders require any special care? I planted cardinal dogwoods last year and they're really taking off.

Thanks for letting me pick your brains!

Cricket

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
uicricket(z5 IA)

I must be the only one who has this. Moving this on down the list.

Cricket

Bookmark   July 8, 2005 at 9:50AM
diannp

Cricket, what is a Golden Elder? Just curious. :)

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   July 9, 2005 at 12:16AM
uicricket(z5 IA)

It's a relative of the American Elder. It's a large shrub @8' tall and 8' wide. Beautiful chartrues foliage and berries in the fall. Wish I had a picture of it to post. Birds love the berries and can be used in jellies and wines. Isn't there a song about elderberry wine?

I planted three in a grouping. I'm trying to create a mini woodland feel in the back yard to attract more birds. The side benefit is blocking out the view of the corn/bean field, which isn't so bad, and buffer the drone of noise from the interstate which isn't awful but blocks out natures noises.

Cricket

I also plan to add 3 white pines this year - if budget allows. I'm looking for more evergreens to provide winter cover for birds and wildlife.

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 12:50PM
More Discussions
Harry lauder's Walking Stick
I have discovered that our two dogs decided to chew...
mcraney
Needing Plant Recommendations
I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn....
rosekrazy
Looking 4 Dutch White Clover Seed
I'm planning to add some clover back into the sunny...
iowa50126
Bishops Weed (snow on the mountain)
I just planted some Bishops Weed that my Mom gave me....
GeeGee_
Iowa Newbie
I've become very interested in shade gardening and...
bishop5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™