Question on using dunks

phoebe1969(z8CA)April 7, 2004

If I am using a 2 gln watering can and put in 1/4 chunk of Dunk is that enough and do I have to let it sit over night before using it. Thank you

p.s. anyone know where to buy something easier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JAYK(8b)

What are you attempting to control? Dunks are usually just placed in the body of water you are intending to control the mosquito larvae in.

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 12:34AM
phoebe1969(z8CA)

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am wanting to use this to control gnats in the plant soil of my outdoor containers. I read that you use Bacillus. I'm sure these are not shore flys but fungus gnats that came in a plant I ordered thru a catalogue compnay :(

Bookmark   April 8, 2004 at 10:46AM
Wynona(z4ID)

Phoebe, I use about a quarter size chunk of dunk...hey I like the way that sounds... in a 2 gallon bucket. After It's been in there overnight or for a few hours, I pour about 2 quarts in a watering can, but leave the chunk in the bucket. Then I add more water to the bucket. This way the Bacillus lasts for a long time. I have been using this indoors for fungus gnats and it has been very effective. It did take a few days though. Also, keep using it for a little while after the gnats are gone to be sure you get all the larvae. Lisa

Bookmark   April 26, 2004 at 3:36PM
byron(4a/5b NH)

Dunks are for skeeters

Gnatrol is a Bt made for fungus gnats

Bookmark   May 6, 2004 at 9:22PM
drbugman(Zone 7 MD)

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis is the same active ingredient in Gnatrol and mosquito dunks. For heavy fungus gnat infestations you may need to re-apply two or three times at 5 day intervals. Bt only targets the immature stages and the adults live around 3 weeks. The best solution though is non-chemical: keep the soil as dry as horticulturally possible with infrequent, deep watering if the plants can stand it.

Bookmark   May 7, 2004 at 7:45AM
pablo_nh(z4/5 NH)

"The best solution though is non-chemical"

Bt is non-chemical. Your point on cultural methods is valid, however.

Bookmark   June 25, 2004 at 4:05PM
drbugman(Zone 7 MD)

It's probably a matter of semantics and gets into a gray area where people have isolated and identified the active ingredient from a natural source. The delta endotoxin is naturally produced from a bacterial source. I also consider Spinosad (derived from another bacterial soil dweller) to be chemical, though it too naturally-derived. I don't think that there's much debate about rotenone, pyrethrum, or nicotine as being chemicals despite their natural origin.

Bookmark   July 1, 2004 at 5:07PM
More Discussions
TomCat Mole Killer?
Well as of yesterday I discovered evidence of our first...
katefisher
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™