How to control septoria leaf spot with rudbeckia

perennialfan273(zone 5)April 26, 2009

Hello

Last year my rudbeckia became severely infected with what I believe to be septoria leaf spot. By the end of the year, the leaves were almost completely black!! When I looked at them this year, they looked so bad that I just pulled them up. I'd like to plant some more, but I'm afraid that they'll just get sick again and die. Does anyone know how to prevent and/or control this evil disease??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Start with the why does that plant get that disease? What is the soil the plant is growing in like? Is it a good, healthy soil that will grow strong and healthy plants that are better able to ward off disease pahtogens? Is the soil well endowed with organic matter and is it evenly moist but well drained? Prevention of any plant disease starts with the soil the plant is growing in.

Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 8:11AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

perennialfan, one of the most overlooked step in IPM is to identify which plants are inherently susceptible to specific disease and/or insect problems and to avoid bringing them into the garden.

Unfortunately, your Rudbeckia is especially prone to septoria, and other leaf diseases, as well. This is your reality, no matter what the condition of the soil is. It's especially true now that this location has seen a bad outbreak.

However, there are some things you can do that might make a difference. Doing all you can to foster a healthy soil system IS important, of course. And hopefully, you did a good housekeeping job in the rubbeckia bed last year by removing all of the old mulch and fallen debris from the plants. Avoid over crowding and over-head watering, too.

You might want to research the possibility of 'disease resistant' hybrids, I don't if anything like that exists for Rudbeckia.

Good luck! Maybe last year was a fluke and with some good management practices you can have a nice display this year. It's one plant that is missing from my gardens (by choice), however.

Bookmark   May 1, 2009 at 3:27PM
More Discussions
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Sponsored Products
Monterey White Wood Double Bed
Overstock.com
Outdoor Lighting. LV36VRD Landscape Lighting Spot Light Low Voltage (12V) Die Ca
Home Depot
Pieced Boudoir Pillow with Side Onion-Tassel Fringe 13" x 19" - FRENCH VANILLA
$100.00 | Horchow
Bantry Nesting Table
FRONTGATE
Area Rug: Contempo Multicolor 7' 8" x 10' 10"
Home Depot
Serena & Lily Zig Cotton Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Marset | Polo Desk Lamp
$495.00 | YLighting
Derrington Punch 24 x 24 Decorative Pillow