Hardy Fuchsia

Linda_IA(5)July 7, 2004

Hello Iowa gardeners.....

Wondering if any of you have a Hardy Fuchsia (Fuchsia magellanica) is what it's called in the catalog. If so, what do you think of it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawki(5a)

I think with fuschia magellanica in Iowa, the operative word is "had", not "have".
Don

Bookmark   July 7, 2004 at 11:13PM
Linda_IA(5)

Thanks. Doesn't work here huh? This catalog is out of Bloomington, Illinois....Exciting Gardens. I've never heard of this company, don't know how I got their catalog....just wondered about the plant. It looks like a pretty one. Says it's for zones 3-10, but in colder climates, mulch heavily.

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 12:05AM
hawki(5a)

Mulch heavily... like a pickup load of mulch. The zone 3 is laughable. Optomistic descriptions claim it's hardy to Z5, but I'd bet in 5a like Iowa heavy mulching will at best still give you die-back to the ground, giving you a dinky little bush, and since the flowers themselves are dinky, the effect will be underwhelming.Anybody actually had one survive? I tried one when I still gardened in 4b Cedar Falls, and nada,though I didn't go to any great pains to protect it.
Don

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 10:30AM
Linda_IA(5)

I sure appreciate your input on this. Thanks alot. Saved me some money and time trying to get one going here.

Bookmark   July 8, 2004 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Needing Plant Recommendations
I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn....
rosekrazy
wanting to kill grass and weeds.
I live in south east Iowa. I fenced in an area for...
Iowacass
About Dipstick!
Hi All, Does anyone know if this comes with the watering...
IrrigationSystem00
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
LarryInIowa
Harry lauder's Walking Stick
I have discovered that our two dogs decided to chew...
mcraney
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™