Bugs pests and turtles

half_eaten_thumb(usda10)May 2, 2006

Need a little help again, I have a variety of fruits and veggies that are beginning to be eaten alive and I can not seem to stop it. Reason is that this past summer we adopted 3 endangered california Tortoises and while they are having a great time in the yard eating random items as they see fit, I am not able to guard against other pests (ie rollie-pollies) white flies and slugs because I can not use a topical pesticide with them around. I have had some success with chili-pepper seeds in hot water then into a spray-bottle (works great on aphids) but the rollie-pollie's and slugs don't seem to mind it. Help!!! I would like to enjoy even one strawberry this year.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
username_5(banned for no reason)

So your problem is control of pill bugs (rollie pollie) and slugs in a way that is non toxic to tortoises?

First off understand I have no knowledge of what is or isn't toxic to the turtles.

Sluggo is made from iron phosphate (the toxin) and a wheat de-
rivative which serves as bait. Again, I don't know the first thing about what is or isn't toxic to turtles, but I suggest you look into iron phosphate and turtle to determine if it is safe as sluggo is about as safe as it gets when it comes to effective slug killers. Sure, you can use beer in a can, but this doesn't do much against a well populated slug infestation.

Pill bugs are another story. They are attracted to moisture and decaying material which is common to any mulched or organic enriched garden area. Diatomaceous earth won't harm the turtles, but will kill the pill bugs. It will also kill the slugs. Use food grade, not pool grade. You may have to search around or buy online. Google for 'food grade diatomaceous earth' to find online suppliers.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 2:36AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Any good garden center should carry horticultural (=food grade) DE.

Bookmark   May 2, 2006 at 11:52AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

A friend who kept turtles limited their access to the yard/garden.

Bookmark   May 3, 2006 at 5:15PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Cold caffienated coffee sprayed on affected plant leaves will hinder the slugs very effectively, even after the coffee has dried. The roly polys are not a pest.

Bookmark   May 8, 2006 at 4:32PM
half_eaten_thumb(usda10)

Why would you say roly polys are not pests - they are systematically eating half of every strawberry in the patch!!! - Please help

Bookmark   May 9, 2006 at 1:18PM
ellix(augusta ga)

My understanding is that the turtles like strawberries--could they be eating them?

Bookmark   July 9, 2006 at 10:38PM
layeux

I am getting a tortoise-native to AZ and want to know what plants I could plant that they like to eat.

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 11:58AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Most all turtles are omnivores, they will eat most anything animal or vegetable. So if you have strawberries being eaten and you have turtles around it may well be them, and your roly polys are coming to clean up behind them.

Here is a link that might be useful: what do turtles eat

This post was edited by kimmsr on Sun, Sep 8, 13 at 7:08

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 7:36AM
zzackey(8b GA)

Can you put a fence up around your garden? Slugs love beer. Put some in a tuna can. They will get in there and drown.

Bookmark   October 12, 2013 at 3:59PM
More Discussions
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™