Naked Ladies

madsonc(z4 Iowa)August 6, 2004

Hello...I am so pleased to find that out of 10 bulbs that I bought from a fellow gardener last year of the lycoris squamigera (naked ladies) that I have one that just popped up over night...so beautiful...I have admired these for so long but I found it very difficult to acquire some...any of you familar with these bulbs? Do they multiply very fast...Of course, I am happy with one but sure would like MORE!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dianne42

Never fear! In no time at all you will have Naked Ladies galore. If they like where they are, they will multiply quickly.

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 5:48PM
MICinIA(5)

yep they multiply quickly :)
mine are Sooo pretty this year, i love the shimmery bluish/lavendar/pinkish color of them.
split mine up earlier this spring they were so crowded, and i am pleased to report they bloomed this same year.
wasn't sure if they would or not.
mic

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 9:23AM
Linda_IA(5)

I love these plants! I just bought some bulbs at a flea market today. Dummy me did not ask how deep to plant the bulbs though. Can anyone tell me? Thanks in advance.

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 10:05PM
diannp

Linda, I think the suggested planting depth is about 5 inches deep. These bulbs will thrive and spread nicely for you without much work on your part. :)

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   August 9, 2004 at 2:24PM
Linda_IA(5)

Thank you!

Bookmark   August 15, 2004 at 10:16PM
hin58(z4 ia)

PLEASE share with me some sources for your lovely naked ladies!!!!! Our local garden center never has any in and I've not had much luck when I'm looking elsewhere.

Thanks so much!

Bobbie

Bookmark   August 25, 2004 at 10:44PM
diannp

Bobbie, just get to know someone with these surprise/naked lady lilys and I'm sure they would give you some in a heart beat. I gave away bushel baskets of these things earlier this Spring. I think if you order them over the net they will cost you anywhere from $5.00 up to $10.00 per bulb. Where are you in Zone 4? If you're close to the Mt. Vernon/Lisbon area you could stop by and I'd dig you some. (Of course, I might make you weed for your lilies! *just kidding*)

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   August 26, 2004 at 4:52PM
riverats(z5 IA)

Just got to thinking. There is a guy that sets up for the Flea Market at What Cheer that usually sells them At the October show. Second weekend in October at the Fair grounds. He sits around the track. Bought some from him for 25 cents a bulb.

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 12:56AM
diannp

Riverats, that's the way to buy 'em. :) I think that they are pretty and all, but I don't think I'd be paying the price many nurseries want for them!!! Bobbie, are you anywhere close to What Cheer??

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   September 8, 2004 at 2:19PM
hin58(z4 ia)

I'm a couple of hours from there, and our October is filled so for now they're on the back burner. We just prepared another 150' bed and we're about planted out for this year anyway! ;-)

Bobbie

Bookmark   September 19, 2004 at 9:37AM
marciaz4(z4 IA)

What time of year is best to thin them out?

Bookmark   September 22, 2004 at 12:41PM
diannp

I dug some this spring when the foliage was just beginning to come up. I would think that Fall would be the best time, tho....

Diann
IA Z5a

Bookmark   September 22, 2004 at 3:54PM
Paul81inCA(11CA)

Ive had these in 2 different yards for 20 Years. I never took the time to see if the "seeds" would germinate from the withered flowers. Well Last Oct (2004) my wife cut off the stems, and when I started to trash them, I noticed a lot of "seeds" on the old blossoms. I cut them & put them in a cardboard box. Around the first week of Dec (2004) I noticed these things were germinating. So I have over 100 about 1 inch high in small plant containers. Will have to "babysit" these to Arizona from Jan thru July 2005, but will bring them back to CA in July. They would not survive 120 degree heat in AZ desert soil. Will keep the board posted on how well they do. They realy thrive here in So Calif. Had at least 30 blooming all at once in a 3 x 6 Ft space & they were very pretty.

Bookmark   January 3, 2005 at 3:26AM
More Discussions
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
Trellis Covering?
Hello- I have a trellis wall at the end of my patio....
larryiniowa
Knockout Roses
How do I know if this winter froze my knockout bushes?...
bluey48
Iowa Resources and Events
I've decided to finally put all my gardening resources...
Sara
Bishops Weed (snow on the mountain)
I just planted some Bishops Weed that my Mom gave me....
GeeGee_
Sponsored Products
&'Costa | Bambu 157 Floor Lamp
YLighting
Parisienne Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Triple Dancing Lady Silk Flower Arrangement
Overstock.com
Lady Camellia Covered Jar
The City Farm
Maxim Chandelier by Arteriors
$2,520.00 | Lumens