Pistachio's first day in-ground!

springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)May 24, 2013

Here's a picture of my freshly-planted H. mac. 'Schloss Wackerbarth' a.k.a. 'Horwack' a.k.a. 'Pistachio'

It's supposed to have a low-spreading profile, and the potted specimen was already beginning to follow suit. Aside from the lateral growth at the base, the majority of it is tightly-clustered upright spires (hence being named after a castle, I suppose!). It does not grow thick stems but the stems are very rigid and sturdy. The leaves are also thick, small, and cupped, with a red tinge around the edges. There are a bunch of buds on this, but it's a bit too early to report anything on blooms. But I will continue to post back with its progression into the Summer.

For comparison, on the left in the picture is its other new neighbor 'Hortmahar' (opening cream-colored), with arborescens 'Annabelle' behind and 'Blue Cassel' to the right.

This Winter I'm simply going to throw some leaves on it and see how it does. Most everything on this north-facing hillside garden dies back quite a bit, so I'd be surprised if that isn't repeated here.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
echinaceamaniac(7)

I want one of those so much! I can't wait to see the flowers on it. My 'Together Forever' is getting ready to bloom. It's from the same people. The foliage on these is so healthy.

Bookmark   May 25, 2013 at 2:33AM
faithlb

I have this hydrangea and it is in bloom with lot's of blooms on it. It is still in a pot since I don't know where to plant it as yet. The buds are turning red and it is beautiful. Hope you can see the picture?

Bookmark   June 20, 2013 at 6:09PM
jujujojo_gw(6b 7a)

Wow, that color really reminds me of the nut of the same name.

Bookmark   June 21, 2013 at 10:38AM
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

Check it out! Old wood blooms below, new wood buds appearing up atop new stems. F&E should just scrap the Red program; it's a loser compared to this.

My phone's camera may have made the blooms appear magenta, but they are fire-engine red, with the fluorescence of red knockout roses!

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 7:35AM
More Discussions
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
DEEP blue
When I was growing up my grandmother had big vigorous...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
MUD Nest Bowl - Small - MUD Australia
$78.75 | HORNE
Authentic Pestemal Fouta Pistachio Green Turkish Cotton Bath/ Beach Towel
Overstock.com
Costanza Floor Lamp by Luceplan
$468.73 | Lumens
Margo Pistachio Fabric Black Dining Chair
bryght.com
30'' x 40'' Pistachio Minky Dot Reversible Blanket
$14.99 | zulily