Any updates on Light-O-Day?

ditasMay 8, 2008

Hi Lacecap H lovers - I was at Lowe's for some flats of annuals when I spotted a cart of new arrival Hs. Amongst the oodles of budded pots of ES & F&E were these stunning, variegated clumps of leaves(no blooms nor buds). Needless to say I had to read the tag - indeed a Hydrangea (but no mention of being a lacecap)! Z4 hardy, Hurray!!!

I just now checked this forum and found only 1 old thread from 2005 ... I wonder how, after 3 seasons, this cultivar performed & rated by owners?

I got Lowe's assurance that I'll get full refund if not satisfied ... a pretty good deal I thought!

TIA

D

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stillwelljill(7)

A friend of mine has one of these in zone 6. She loves hers but don't expect a lot from the blooms. She respects the plant for it's varigated color and the "little" show of bloom she considers a plus. I guess it depends on how much garden space one has as to their choices of which hydrangea to have or not have. Good luck with your new baby.

Bookmark   May 11, 2008 at 7:01PM
ditas

Hi Stillwelljill - Thanks for responding, I was hoping for a few more to hop on, to see how their's are doing.

I kept the pot that I brought home in the hole, I prepared last season for a Lacecap, while I observed & studied how she looks in the spot between Blushing Bride(slightly sunnier spot) & Midnight Dutchess (bright/shade spot). Light-O-Day looks stunning right where she is, so in the ground she was set in, just yesterday! I don't think I'll be sorry ... just hope I can get her to bloom this season, yet!

Thanks again!
D

Bookmark   May 16, 2008 at 11:19AM
ditas

LOD ... the only one left w/o a single hint of flower buds forming ... continuous to grow beautifully tho - perhaps another 6" & no solid green leaf at all. Compared to Mariesii Var. LOD has more impressive foliage-marbling, some even have more creamy whites than green.

Mariesii Var.'s blossom does not cut the lacecap standards, IMHO ... the last blossom to flash has only 3 petalled florets ... she has grown a few more inches tho, not as tightly as LOD ... could be sun exposure, the lack of.

Bookmark   June 23, 2008 at 9:37PM
More Discussions
Vanilla Strawberry in Part sun?
I was wondering if Vanilla Strawberry would do okay...
suz9601
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™