squirrels eating (or playing with) tomatoes

jchristy_growerMay 12, 2010

can anyone tell me how to get the squirrels to leave my tomatoes alone? they are picking my tomatoes before they've had time to ripen, and well its driving me crazy! i am looking for a non-lethal solution to the problem. i am not an animal activist or anything but i like the squirrels they provide me with lots of morning entertainment. please any suggestions would really help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lcpw_gw(z6 St Louis)

The only solution I've found is to grow mostly cherry tomato varieties. This way, despite the squirrels swiping as many tomatoes as they like, I still get a sizeable harvest.

I realize this may not be useful to you this year - though, if you plant Sun Gold or Sweet 100, my guess is that they'll give you a harvest this year. Probably won't magically save your current tomatoes, however.

In years past, the local squirrels would pick my full sized tomatoes when green, carry them to the base of a tree, try to climb up the tree, realize the tomato was too heavy for their neck, try to climb up the tree BACKWARD, then ultimately give up, leaving the tomato at the base of the tree, as they scampered back to swipe ANOTHER TOMATO and repeat, resulting in small piles of green tomatoes at the base of their favorite trees.

Lisa

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 10:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joannpalmyra

*snicker*
Forgive me, but both stories gave me a giggle. :P
I hope the mischievious squirrels leave you some tomatoes to enjoy. :)

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
larve identification
i have a organic compost pile. years of success. i...
bob41
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™