Malibu Mosquito Inhibitor - Does it Work?

steve_k(6b)May 29, 2004

I'm bracing for the onslaught of the nasty biters due to the deluge of wet weather we've been experiencing here in "Canada South". Evenings have already begun to get unbearable due to mosquitos.

I've done as much research on the Mosquito Magnet as possible and have found mixed reviews; some great, some terrible, although everyone does seem to agree on the high outlay and upkeep costs!

What about Malibu's "Solar Mosquito Inhibitor"? Has anyone tried it? It says it masks human scents in a 100 sq. foot area using Linalool scent cartridges. It's MUCH more affordable in terms of outlay and materials. I'm really leaning toward getting a couple of these. Any experience with it?

(Thanks!)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
royross(7/TN)

Never heard of it, but a 100 square foot area is only 10 X 10. Thats not much area covered. Roy

Bookmark   June 20, 2004 at 11:03PM
GardynElf(9 - a or b?)

The best thing to use for repelling mosquitos is a quick spray of Deep Woods OFF. It doesn't smell great, but it works. You can also burn citronella oil in tiki torches in your yard. If you have small ponds, you can buy mosquito dunks. They kill the larvae before they become adults that fly off to bite you. If you have large ponds, you might be able to aquire mosquito fish. They eat the larvae. Also get rid of any standing water around your yard... under potted plants, old tires, buckets, etc. It only takes a teaspoon of water and a few days (?) to breed hundreds of mosquitos. You might also want to contact your local Mosquito & Vector Control if you have one there. We are battling West Nile Virus here and so all we have to do is turn on the TV to get the phone number.

Bookmark   August 9, 2004 at 5:23PM
nana_dt

I live in Houston, TX where it is hot and humid more than half the year. I bought the solar Malibu Misquito Inhibitor about 3 years ago and it works great. I have a 24 x 24 patio and one works well. I did buy a second one because I can move it to other areas. By the way, I would be what you call a 'Misquito Magnet'. If I didn't have this little machine I wouldn't be able to stay outside past around 5pm most days.

Bookmark   April 6, 2008 at 12:11AM
sotb_rocketmail_com

I bought the Malibu Mosquito Inhibitor battery powered version and set it on the floor right next to where I was sitting. The mosquitoes were swarming all over me and were biting as much as usual. The product seems to be worthless as far as I am concerned, it was just a total waste of money.

Bookmark   July 5, 2011 at 5:48PM
More Discussions
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
TomCat Mole Killer?
Well as of yesterday I discovered evidence of our first...
katefisher
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™