iowa unheated winter greenhouse

R.McDAugust 22, 2012

I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce and various greens in my unheated hoop house in southern ia, and having a lot of fun learning. Is anyone else doing this? Success?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark_roeder(4B IA)

What results did you have growing greens in an unheated hoop house in Iowa from Winter 2012-13, when it was a bit cooler than the Winter 2011-12. Thanks!

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 12:42AM
koshia

First, I'd like to apologize for hijacking this thread, but I thought my question would be relevant to this conversation. I'm new to growing/gardening and wanted to start a 16' x 20' greenhouse in our backyard here in DSM. I wanted to get your opinion on how things will grow if I decide not to trench below the frost line in Iowa. Will my plants be okay throughout winter if I just add a few inches of top soil on top of the ground and encompass the area with pvc/screen (as a greenhouse)? I'll be mostly growing peppers, mints, some asian herbs, lettuce, tomatoes, and hopefully cucumbers/pumpkin.

I'd like to get some of your opinion on this. Thank you.

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 2:51AM
veggiegal1(4)

I too want to build a greenhouse in the next couple of years here in Iowa. Still trying to get the pros and cons. I have looked at pit or walapini style greenhouses, Solar greenhouses with a heat pit beneath the plant beds and the use of rocket mass heater for days without sun. Also looking at an attached greenhouse to my home. If anyone has had any experience with any type of greenhouse, I would welcome your information. I want to research it well before I build it. I would like fresh vegetables year round as I am a vegetarian.

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:35PM
lee_in_iowa(4 to 5 (on the line))

Pls keep posting what you're learning. I too am in Des Moines and am hoping to rework my not-yet-heated-but-has-one-layer-of-windows south porch as a greenhouse, with maybe minimal heat (something that keeps it from freezing but stops heating when it hits 40 degrees, perhaps). Thanks!

Bookmark   January 21, 2014 at 3:39PM
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b

I'm curious what will grow at 40 degrees in Iowa in the winter? Doesn't the ground need to be warmer than 40 degrees? Isn't that why it's so hard to get anything growing in April in an open garden spot? My garden is in full sun and I've never had anything grow until the soil got warm, not even by using black plastic around the plant/seed.

Bookmark   April 23, 2014 at 3:47PM
More Discussions
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
Looking 4 Dutch White Clover Seed
I'm planning to add some clover back into the sunny...
iowa50126
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
Peach Tree for Iowa
What would be a good variety of peach to plant here?...
iris321
Anyone know what this plant is?
I found it volunteer in the bushes next to my house...
rwallen1961
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™