mountain laurel

sunnytopSeptember 5, 2007

Has anyone in this area (I'm close...eastern Ne) had success with growing mountain laurel? I think it is pretty but haven't seen it in this area of the country. Maybe it doesn't do well in our clay soils?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hawki(5a)

It doesn't like our alkaline soils, our hot dry summers and our sub-zero winters; other than that mountain laurel would like it here. I've kept one going for a few years on a couple of occasions, but without a lot of work in protecting them in the winter, the evergreen foliage ends up so ratty looking, that they are not an asset to the garden, in my experience. I think the winter sun and wind are the worst threat to them. Some of the hardier lepidote rhodys are just as attractive, and a lot easier to grow.
Don

Bookmark   September 6, 2007 at 10:18AM
sunnytop

Shucks. My rhody died. If I can't keep it alive I don't suppose I'd keep a mountain laurel.

Bookmark   September 8, 2007 at 11:07PM
hawki(5a)

There are some small-leaved (lepidote) rhodys you have to work at to kill. the big-leaved rhodys(elepidotes) I can kill without working up a sweat.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 12:24AM
sunnytop

Where do you find this type rhody? I can't find any on the nursery sites I've been looking at...forest farm, lazyss, bluestone.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 2:15PM
hawki(5a)

Rarefind Nursery has a nice selection; I'm probably growing about thirty different lepidotes here in 5a eastern Iowa and half of them are from Rarefind. You will want to dig out your native soil and replace it with a nice, loose mix of peat, topsoil, and a little sand (adding some composted conifer mulch really helps if you've got it and raised beds are helpful if drainage is poor). Since they are basically evergreen some degree of protection from winter sun is usually necessary (like north or east side of house). The old standby, PJM is usually available locally, and cheap. If you don't grow it already, try it first... it takes sun better, and is just about hard to kill.

Bookmark   September 10, 2007 at 4:09PM
More Discussions
Determining pricing for farmers markets?
I am considering getting a booth at our local farmers...
DragonflyRhino
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
Keeping Bluebirds
I have 3 bluebird houses I bought at the Koszta church...
koszta_kid
Anyone know what this plant is?
I found it volunteer in the bushes next to my house...
rwallen1961
Spiraea prunifolia 'Plena'
I had ordered two of these from Lazy S Farms but I...
lov_mkitchenIOWA zone 6b
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™