Grading of Steep Hill

avjensSeptember 7, 2007

The small town we live in wants to grade our existing hill to match up with the curbs they have just put in. In order to put the curb in they cut halfway into our hill so now it is just a drop off. They want to come in and regrade it to hook up with the curb. Two questions:

We have a driveway to the east and a sidewalk at the top where they will regarde. Will this affect my driveway/sidewalk?

The city wants to just seed it down once they are done -- will this work on a steep slope?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
becky_ia(z4 IA)

Sounds to me it would be better if it were tiered with landscaping block. If seeded, how will they keep the grass seed & soil from being washed away in a heavy rain storm? Who is responsible for keeping it looking nice? Will it be mowable?

Will there be a drop off from the sidewalk? What if someone falls? Who is responsible for possible injuries?

We also live in a small town of 3,500. Years ago, the city had land donated with a small pond. They made the area into a park...nice job. BUT, we too had a steep hill. They seeded it with crownvetch! Wonderful plant for holding the bank up, but AWFULLY invasive. It is a constant battle fighting it...keeping it out of our lawn and gardens, and maintaining the appearance. But of course, this was done before we obtained the property, so we have to live with it.

I think you need to re-visit with them more and ask lots of questions. Get them thinking about what is the best option for all involved.

Becky

Bookmark   September 12, 2007 at 8:36AM
More Discussions
Groundcover for north slope
I'm looking for groundcover options for a north slope....
uicricket
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
drought
Hi,Is anyone thinking about how to adapt your gardens...
715rose
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™