Tall, lanky, ugly shaped hydrangeas

joannembMay 5, 2012

I bought 2 very young double white hydrangeas (a lace-cap double variety called Wedding Gown) last year. They didn't bloom last year (not a surprise) but this year they look so lanky and strangely shaped. They have long wavy canes that are bare up until the ends where there are some leaves. There are leaves at the bottom, top, but not in between. So unsightly. I REALLY want to see what this hydrangea looks like, and wouldn't you know there are buds on the top now. After the plant blooms (I just want to see what they look like) I'd like to prune it down.... Will pruning it say 6 inches from the ground encourage a more regular rounded shape? Thanks for any insight!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

I would try to maximize the amt of leaves left on the shrub. If a size of 6" will do it then try it out. This is a rebloomer so you may get blooms later on after pruning (but possibly closer to the Fall).

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 8:30AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
springwood_gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

If you like the current height of the plant and want big blooms from those terminal buds then do NOT prune. The middles of the stems usually take longer to leaf out then the ends or the base. Also, that base growth will be new canes that will fill the space between existing ones. You have a healthy plant. If July rolls around and the plant still looks like this, I'd consider a problem with the soil or light conditions.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 1:08PM
More Discussions
Invincibelle� Spirit II Hydrangea arborescens
Does anyone know if the new Invincebelle Spirit Hydrangeas...
teri55
New 2015 hydrangea cultivars?
Anybody looking into what's coming in 2015. I thought...
plumism
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon 6a SE MA
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Sponsored Products
Chelsea Two-Light Wall Sconce
$34.72 | Bellacor
Green Faux Orchid & Hydrangea Bouquet
$7.99 | zulily
Serena & Lily Bloom Duvet Cover
Serena & Lily
Charleston Garden Swag
Grandin Road
Forever Green Art Floras Bonitas
Beyond Stores