overwintering mandevilla

ladylavender(4)September 22, 2003

I have 3 mandevillas that I got this year. They have bloomed since Memorial day and I want to try to save them through the winter. Do you cut them way back or just try to unfurl them off the trellises? I don't have much sunlight in my house. Would they be better by a window or under lights. Thanks for any help.

mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Greenthumb(Zone 5a, MN)

Hi Mary,
Cut the vines back and put them under your lights for the winter.
Good luck,
Mike
(I hope you folks don't mind that I visited your forum? I envy your "warmer" zone!)

Bookmark   September 26, 2003 at 7:07AM
stan_ia_z4(z4 ia)

Attention Mike: How far back did you cut your mandevilla? Do you keep them under lights all winter? Do they take much Water?

Last year I cut mine back to about 1 foot, but did not get them under lights until March. The are just now blooming good. Appreciate your comments. Stan

Bookmark   September 26, 2003 at 5:52PM
marciaz4(z4 IA)

I have a couple of questions, when you say under lights do you have to use grow lights and also how many hours a day do you have them on?

Bookmark   October 9, 2003 at 11:19AM
john_ny(z6/7 Sunset 34)

Here are some suggestions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering

Bookmark   October 27, 2003 at 3:59PM
snyder(5---Ia)

I cut mine back to about 12-14 inches and put it under the house, we have a crawl space. Bring it out in the spring and start watering it. I kept 2 last year and mine now has 3 blooms.

Bookmark   July 16, 2004 at 3:46PM
iowajewel(z4iowa)

I kept some alive by cutting them back BEFORE bringing them in.....letting them "settle" down after being handled and put them by some basement windows and kept them somewhat watered. Since I am not down in our basement alot during the winter, sometimes they dried out a bit, but this year have bloomed all summer.

IT can be done.....and is fun to "save" these beautiful plants!
Julie

Bookmark   July 27, 2004 at 11:27PM
pattico_gw

Lol...just before coming here tonight I looked up Mandevilla. I just put it in search and it came right up.

It said to cut back in late winter or early spring just before it sprouts new . Now that might be down south . It also said to clip it back to make a more bushy plant.

My oldest daughter bought one for my younger daughter for Mothers Day (My girls always buy for each other on that day..lol) I fell in love with it...She has hers in a shady garden outside....It has grown and bloomed all summer. Beautiful...So I've been on the lookout. I found one last week at WalMart for 7.00. I'm hoping to keep it going this winter in the house.

Also while bring it home in the car a vine got broken off. I've put it in water to see if it will root...That might be another way to keep them until next spring.

patti

Bookmark   August 1, 2004 at 10:37PM
cheltut_aol_com

What if I didn't cut it back when i brought it in last fall... could I cut it back now?

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 10:21AM
ezwryder

I'd like to keep mine over the winter also. How often must it be watered and will temps of 40 to 50 in the garage keep it alive? Also, when should it be cut back and brought in?

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 8:42PM
More Discussions
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
Groundcover for north slope
I'm looking for groundcover options for a north slope....
uicricket
AHS Convention Cedar Rapids iowa
The AHS Convention is in Cedar Rapids this year. Hosta's paws Here...
paws4pets
bamboo
There is a type of bamboo that grows wild in iowa....
Lifeguard10
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™