Tiny red bugs on wood deck

Janice5(zone5 Mi.)May 31, 2008

My son-in-law has these tiny red bugs on his patio deck in Columbus, Ohio. He says they're smaller than a pinhead and there are about 25-50 per square foot. He hasn't noticed any on his plants.

Is anyone able to identify and should he hose them off?

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

janice5, it might be the immature stage of the 'false box elder beetle' (Jadera haematoloma). It is associated with the Golden Rain tree in Florida and it can invade homes to overwinter. The literature suggests that the insect is migrating northward and has become associated with the Soapberry family (Sapindaceae).

Bookmark   June 1, 2008 at 4:29AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It looks like an 8 legged critter to me! One of the 'clover mites' or similiar....there has been quite a few posts about them lately.

By all means, spray them off with a mild,soapy solution.

Bookmark   June 2, 2008 at 11:08AM
lpinkmountain(5b/6a border PA)

That's a mite! Particularly if it is the size of the head of a pin. Amazing that you got such a clear photo.

Bookmark   June 5, 2008 at 8:49AM
cschaffer_hvc_rr_com

We have lots of tiny red bugs on our wood deck. They seem to appear more when it's really hot out. They're about the size of this . ~ they're not bright red, I don't think they fly, but they do somehow latch onto you if you get too close, then the itching starts! I've even found them crawling on my computer screen now and then, which I assume is because of the heat. Any ideas? We have a dog so we don't use pesticides.

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 5:04PM
breenthumb

Looks like the mite that destroyed our Paperwhite Birch and many others in the neighborhood years ago. Tell your SIL to keep a good eye on his trees, etc.

Not sure how much damage they could do to already cut lumber, but wouldn't want them there. Sandy

Bookmark   August 1, 2008 at 11:16PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Looks like Spider Mite to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spider Mites

Bookmark   August 2, 2008 at 7:25AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Spider mites are smaller than what the OP describes, and they won't be found in large numbers other than on plants.

The 'clover mites' are a common nuisance in the summer time. They are typically described as being on the siding, along window sills, on the deck/patio, and even in the home.

Bookmark   August 5, 2008 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
What animal is digging this?
Saw this a couple weeks ago and it wasn't that bad,...
JackOfSomeTrades
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Please help identify the insect
Hi all, I have recently discovered that one of my indoor...
cooljelly
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™