What are small white things on my hibiscus buds?

carol9999(Long Island, NY)June 13, 2006

i have small white things (maybe larvae or eggs) mostly on my hibiscus buds (little on leafs), which is preventing them to bloom.... i also see ants in these buds (maybe they are eating the white things?) what do i do about this problem?? i do see some flies (greeninsh body with transparent wings ..very small maybe 1/4 inch long..not like regular house flies)..i have several hibiscus planted in containers and about half of them have this and the other do not....i live in NY and purchased from home depot and costco... they are outside during the spring and summer months ...i buy new every year as i do not want to bring them in for winter....thanks...carol

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiffy_z5_6_can(5/6)

Aphids. You have aphids. Just spray them with a strong spray of water and continue this ritual until the problem is gone. But they will come back next year.

And if you see Ladybugs, consider them your friend as their larvae will eat the aphids but not bother with your plants.

Bookmark   June 13, 2006 at 9:44PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Would you say that the flies have a very iridescent coloring? And flit around quite actively? Winged aphids look just like their non-winged sisters, so if you know what an aphid looks like....you should be able to ID that. I'm wondering if it might not be something else. If you say that are iridescent, that might shed a different light on those green things.

Sure would like a description of those white things. ;-)

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 8:12AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

Possibly the white things are shed skins of aphids?

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 1:44PM

That's what I've been thinking......

Bookmark   June 14, 2006 at 9:48PM
julieann_grow

Those small flies with iridescent wings are aphids?? Mine are small, mostly greenish bodies that flit around a lot. Then, there are the small, orangish, egg looking things on my milkweed. They are the same creature? I don't understand.

Bookmark   August 25, 2006 at 6:49PM

I was TRYING to get a better description from Carol regarding those little flies. I was thinking in terms of the Long Legged flies, which are pretty little iridescent insects....often green, but can be blue, gold, or other colors. I'll attach an image. They are beneficial.

"small, orange, egg looking things" is a difficult description to go by. Do your own search on Milkweed Aphid and decide if that's it. If not, let us know if they are insects or if they are eggs. ;-)

The flies would be after the aphids, by the way.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 1:30PM
afternoonrain

Could it be the evil white fly?

Bookmark   September 4, 2006 at 11:15AM
More Discussions
chipmunks - wondering about onion
I read somewhere that planting allium bulbs keep chipmunks...
steelskies
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Chipmunks tunnelling in garden
Apparently it is chipmunks (not the red squirrels we...
hikerwanda
DynaGrow Neem Oil application
Can DynaGrow neem oil be applied using a hose end...
luvpatch2
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™