What to add to make a deep blue flower?

donna1952(8 W WA Puget So)May 2, 2013

I know that adding lime to the soil of a hydrangea makes the flowers deep pink - but what do I add to make the flower head dark blue or even purple? Every plant turns a blue color here - not pretty! Thanks for your help. You can use my address to answer if you wish. It is: Donna1952_1@Juno.com

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

The right variety could make a difference; so can limiting the effects of planting it in too much sun. You can get nice deep blues from many; check these: Blue Heaven, Blue prince, Enziandom, Nikko Blue, Mathilda Gutges, Enziandom, Hamburg, Gen. Vicomtesse de Vibraye and Marechal Foch and Nightingale. These are some, of many, nice blue mopheads/lacecaps.

Bookmark   May 2, 2013 at 10:56PM
gardengal48

Puget Sound area gardens tend to have sufficiently acidic soil for blue hydrangeas to be really blue. As Luis indicates, variety will have some bearing as will siting. To intensify the blue color you need to make sure there is aluminum available in sufficient concentrations. You can use aluminum sulfate (aka hydrangeas "bluing") or add sulfur or other acidifying materials (peat moss, cottonseed meal) to make the existing aluminum more available.

The impact is not immediate. The usual recommendation is to add sulfur the previous fall or aluminum sulfate at least 6 months before bloom season.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 2:07PM
paganfairy(6)

I've heard to plant rusty nails around them to turn them blue. I googled it and there seems to be some debate on this but check it out.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 11:58AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Nails won't work. File it as garden myth.

Color may need up to 4 years to stabilize after the bush is planted. Choose a normally deep blue (see above list), plant it and wait.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 12:42AM
donna1952(8 W WA Puget So)

Many thanks to all who wrote and helped me with getting my hydrangeas a really deep blue. There is a neighbor about 2 blocks away that has a bush that provides a really deep purple mop head - and one of these days maybe I will stop and ask the plants history. I will also stop at a garden store and try and buy some aluminum sulfate. I spent the day taking cuttings from my lace caps and mop heads to start some new plants. Thanks again to all.

Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Annabelle hydrangea
Well, it's approaching January & I'm thinking spring....
Sally6340
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
Container size for hydrangea
I have a landscape plan made for my yard by a pro who...
cakbu
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™