Hydrangeas in Full Shade?

azmountains_gardener(5b/6a, Sunset 2b, AZ)May 31, 2011

I have a hole in my backyard plantings that I need to fill and that is in full shade (it may get an hour or so of sun in the early morning). Would a hydrangea do well in full shade? A local nursery has a Hydrangea paniculata "Limelight" that I am interested in putting there. The manager said it would do well in the spot, but online sources have been saying that it needs part sun to part shade.

The nursery also has several mopheads, but I understand that most are not hardy here in Zone 5. I do have an Endless Summer that survived this winter (its first winter).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

It may be a good site for Limelight. Less sun normally means less blooms but Limelight will benefit because its immature blooms stay green longer of exposed to less sunlight. Just make sure that it can fit in that location since Limelight can get large. Some mopheads may also do well but you will have to try them out to confirm. Again, the problem will be the possibility of less blooms. Any of the Endless Summer Series and the Forever & Ever Series will do well in Zone 5 but the panicultas (Limelight) and arborescens (Bella Anna, Annabelle) will handle even more cold than that. Keep the soil moist and well mulched; water during dry winters if the soil does not freeze.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 1:38AM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
galls in dirt where to plant
Hi, Last summer I dug up a rose that had not been doing...
Brooks23
Zinfin Doll hydrangea
Hi, This is a new hydrangea or at least new to me....
Brooks23
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™