Kohlrabi choices for the Iowa climate

mikkle(5A)November 24, 2010

What varieties of kohlrabi have Iowa gardeners had luck in growing? I grew some several years back but, as I recall,they weren't that great. My wife recently picked a few up at a farmers market which we really liked, but she didn't think to ask about the variety. I'd be curious to know the names of the varieties Iowa gardeners have had success with, and how heritage varieties complete with hybrids and with the larger 8-10" bulbs that are grown. I live in SE Iowa.

Mikkle

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cybrczch(5)

Not from Iowa, but across the Missouri in Nebraska.
My best luck has been with the hybrids - Grand Duke hybrid has done well for me in the past, last season I tried Kolibri (purple) and Kongo (white), most of my plants succumbed to the tragedy of my Bt spray (I misread the amount of wetting agent to use and burned all my brassicas) but the few that missed the spray seemed to do good. Trying both of them again this year.
Early white/purple Vienna get way too woody for me. Haven't tried the large bulbed (Superschmeltz) types.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 10:48PM
MeLikeOkra

I've had excellent results with every type that I've planted, both in the spring and fall plantings. As Cybrczch says, Some of the early varieties tend to get woody if you let them get too big, but it usually isn't a problem for me. They get eaten quickly!

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:26AM
cybrczch(5)

Mikkle, curious as to how your kohlrabi did this year. I started mine indoors to transplant, I planted 18 Kolibri and 18 Kongo plants out in mid-late April, harvested the first Kolibri at the end of May and picked the last 3 Kongo 2 days ago. Big, but not woody, could eat all the way down to the stem area. This year I also tried roasting them, cubed, tossed with oil and salt, then top with parmesan. Not bad at all.

Bookmark   July 9, 2011 at 9:58PM
dmerta

I have had good luck with Kossak hybrid direct seeded in the spring produce baseball to softball size tender and sweet

Bookmark   January 29, 2012 at 3:55PM
More Discussions
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
AHS Convention Cedar Rapids iowa
The AHS Convention is in Cedar Rapids this year. Hosta's paws Here...
paws4pets
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
Anyone know what this plant is?
I found it volunteer in the bushes next to my house...
rwallen1961
drought
Hi,Is anyone thinking about how to adapt your gardens...
715rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™