Needing Plant Recommendations

rosekrazy(7B)November 10, 2013

I have a very steep backyard, part of which is lawn. At the bottom of the lawn is the tree line, which is a nice way of saying, where all the ratty mostly annual scrubby weeds start under the trees. And every year I swear at them when I'm trying to clear the leaves off the lawn. The leaves get hung up on the dead stalks of the tall weeds.There is a creek further down the hill, and we have to be careful because underground water sometimes makes part of the steepest sections break away. So I need a plant that 1) has really good root systems to help anchor the slope, 2) that is perennial (so it doesn't have to be replanted every year), 3) growth can easily be chopped back at the end of the summer to facilitate leaf cleanup.

I know, I'm asking a lot of a plant, but I'm hoping there is one out there. For once, I don't care about the type of leaves, plant structure or if it blossoms. I just want something that will define the edge of the lawn and help hold the slope in place, and then be able to cut it back hard so I can clean up the leaves. So what do you think?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldlady59(5)

Are you needing something to grow under the tree or at tree drip line?? Asparagus has a huge root system and needs to be cut back after frost. It needs sun so under the tree wouldn't work. If you don't want something tall then again it wouldn't work. but for a perennial, good root system and wonderful tasting vegetable to boot about all I can think of is this or lilies. There's one other idea it is a grass but I hate it myself. It grows in clumps and about kills the lawnmower when I mow over it. The grass is called orchard grass.. It too has a massive root system.

Bookmark   December 24, 2013 at 8:54PM
littlelizzy123

If you are wanting something to hold down the soil, is shorter in size, and a perennial, I would go with clover or vetch. It's invasive though, so I would not plant it where it needs to keep in a small space. You can also try to contain it by building a little edging on the perimeter of your grass lawn with stones or metal edging material. Wildflowers are also a good option. They will usually thrive without care and come back every year.

Bookmark   January 7, 2014 at 12:02PM
quasymoto(5b)

I can attest Vetch is VERY INVASIVE! I can't get rid of it and I am trying.

Bookmark   May 26, 2014 at 8:45AM
More Discussions
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
Looking 4 Dutch White Clover Seed
I'm planning to add some clover back into the sunny...
iowa50126
Creek clean up
Getting ready to write editor at Cedar rapids Gazette...
koszta_kid
Too early to plant?
I live in central Iowa. Is it too early to plant radishes,...
backyard3104
Tiny purple stemmed tomato seedlings - is there hope?
I am a first time box gardener. I started all of my...
Skigirlf9
Sponsored Products
Ford Executive Conference Table in Mahogany
Zuri Furniture
Six-foot Silk Kentia Palm Tree
Overstock.com
Majestic Pre-Lit Vertical Swag Christmas Decor
$59.95 | FRONTGATE
Tam Tam Pendant - 5 Shades - Marset
$3,353.00 | HORNE
Modern Style Brown Fabric Shade Floor Lamp with Metal Chrome Base
ParrotUncle