Need help with mixing portions of fungicide!

topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)June 21, 2012

Help, please...I am feeling very dense; blaming it on the heat. My powdered fungicide says one TBS per gallon, so how do I mix it to use with a hose end sprayer, and what number to use on the sprayer dial? I am afraid I'll get it too strong...already tried once, then washed it off with water for fear I'd mixed it too strong. I have way too many plants to use a spray bottle; my hand would never survive. Math wiz, save me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I don't like hose end sprayers for chemicals where measurements matter. And you will never be assured of ending up with the right dilution rate because so much depends upon water pressure.

Simple pump sprayersql are very easy to operate and can be very inexpensive. I'd strongly recommend a two gallon pump sprayer. Simply put in as much water as you will need for one application, add the correct dosage....and spray. You'll use much less of the chemical, apply it more accurately, and with less overspray. The misuse of fungicidal products causes disease resistance and is a very widespread issue.

Try to estimate carefully how much water /product it will take per application. You can't store it (for a variety of reasons) and disposal of the excess is an environmental issue.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 9:23AM
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Thanks...That's what I was afraid of...bummer.

Bookmark   June 22, 2012 at 5:54PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Not a bummer. Pump sprayers are inexpensive and efficient. You'll save a bunch of water, conserve the pesticides, and do a better job of getting the product to where it needs to go. I'm trying to think of what projects hose end sprayers should be used for and soluble fertilizer (and similar) is the only thing I can think of. There aren't too many '-cides ' that should be applied in such a sweeping method.

I just thought of something else.....beneficial nematodes need to be applied with a lot of water abd I think that hose-ends would be ideal

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:05AM
More Discussions
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
Tiny black hairy caterpillars on ceanothus
Leaves on ceanothus (Joyce Coulter, I believe) are...
dawax49
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™