does Annabelle need support in first year?

lalalaMay 16, 2009

I just planted two new Annabelles today. They're maybe 2 feet high. I've read about supporting them so that they stay upright once they have flowers on them--is that necessary this year? I'm assuming I won't get many flowers or major growth until next year--is that true?

For those who made suggestions on my last post about not overcrowding them, thanks--I planted one in front and one in back. I am glad to have had the advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

I planted 1 last year for Mom's Day - this beautiful lady is a fairly good grower & bloomer. She came in a #3 pot - a good headstart. The buds that came with weren't as large as the ones formed after setting in her home. I had to drive a couple of stakes for support, as we had a weird year of rain. Corralling with stakes & jute strings/nylon hose, may not be a bad idea when you see several bud clusters forming!

My Lady is so huge now that I had to re-do her wire fence to a wider circumference - you could hardly tell the cage is there, with all the growth thru the fencing!

Best wishes & happy season! Â:)

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
Difference in Oak Leaf and Macrophylas
I have had both types of hydrangeas and all have had...
seamommy
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™