Green leaf, speckled

kuzicanMay 4, 2010

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've been all over the net looking for a hydrangea my mom saw in 2000. It's a green leaf, with white spots on it. Looks like poka-dots on it. I've been looking all over the net for it. How ever, I don't have a name for it. I don't even know what color the flower is. I've found it on a few sites, but it's not the plant listed for sale, it's the one behind it. lol.. Only my luck.

I'm hoping someone on here has seen it, or knows what it's called.

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

There are several cultivars of variegated hydrangeas. They are all selections of H. macrophylla - 'Mariesii Variegata', 'Tricolor', 'Light O'Day', 'Lemon Wave', etc. None of them have what I'd term "speckled" foliage - the variegation is most often seen as bands of color along the leaf margins although these may be irregular in form. Kinda like hostas in how they show most variegation in streaks or bands rather than dotted or speckled.

Regardless, you will have to go to some extraordinary efforts to get these to grow well in zone 4. Winter protection is a requirement. And none of these plants are particularly free to flower outside of ideal hydrangea zones (7&8). Also, for some undefined reason, variegated hydrangeas always produce lacecap type flowers, even when discovered as sports of mopheads.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Hydrangeas in wet soil
I have an empty area beside our air conditioning unit...
ryank817
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Looking for hardy hydrangeas to plant.
Looking to plant a couple of hardy hydrangeas. Live...
abykatz22
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Sponsored Products
Dice Cube Lamp
Lightology
Compamia ISP049-APP Vita Resin Outdoor Dining Chair - Apple Green - Set of 2 - I
$158.99 | Hayneedle
Noguchi Table
Design Within Reach
Square Orange Faux Leather Cotton Swab Jar
TheBathOutlet
Alessi | Fruit Mama Fruit Holder
YLiving.com
Purple Morning Glory Tiffany Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™