Online resource for IDing insects

ckbozeman(7b/8a)June 8, 2009

Hello,

I am a first time poster to this forum.

Can anyone recommend a website with color photos to help me ID the insects in my veg garden?

I am in the outheast/Deep South.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

I've not seen one and given that there are some 8,000,000 species of insects there probably is no good way to do that. There are many sites that have lots of information available about each species of insect, some even with very good pictures that can be used to confirm the identity, but you need to have a pretty good idea what you do have to even find those.
I have a fairly large, thick book about beetles, and have seen other books on many different species, and some of my books about plant pests and diseases have pictures of a few of the insects, but again you kind of pretty much need to know what you are lokking for to find it.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 8:17AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

There are many such web sites, ckbozeman. After all, you are looking for common insects in the vegetable garden, not images of every insect on the planet. ;-) I'll link you to a couple of such sites, but it will be up to you to find some others. The 'edu' sites are likely to be the most helpful.

Another useful tool for learning about the insects you might see in your garden is a decent field guide. Though limited in the numbers of arthropods they feature, they can be an excellent way to learn the behaviors of particular insect orders, spiders, etc. The Audubon Society Field Guide to NA Insects and Spiders is one that I recommend often as a good resource for those interested in learning more about the insects they find around their homes and gardens.

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/beneficials/beneficials.htm

The above link has several images of beneficial insects and other helpful critters, as well as pathogens that affect insect pests.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 11:42AM
ckbozeman(7b/8a)

Thanks for the links, Rhizo.
Indeed helpful.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
Can't get rid of lone rat in my home! Help!
About three weeks ago, I saw a rat running through...
marleysmom44
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™