drought

715roseDecember 16, 2012

Hi,Is anyone thinking about how to adapt your gardens to drought conditions or are you thinking this year is just an anomaly ?
I have a large daylily collection & I've gotten rid of a lot of them & have plans to cut down further.I don't want to spend the summer dragging hoses.A person may need that water for drinking someday.
Rose

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
koszta_kid(Iowazone 5)

I might even use Gray water from washer and sump-pump. See how much $$$ for Sand Point.I did order things to put in containers. To make them even more self-watering. And got even more soaking hoses. And even more mulch.Got spikes you can add to Pop quart bottle drips water to plants.Use green bottles. Paint butterfly,etc to make them pretty.

Bookmark   January 13, 2013 at 3:47PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oldlady59(5)

I guess you might say I've been ready for this for some time now cause this has always been my only water supply for all my outside plants for 8 years now. The picture is when we first put it in place I had put rain gutters up to catch the rain water from our 30 X 60 foot shed plus the roof from the leanto. I catch enough from the early spring rains that it does last me a long long time.

Bookmark   February 5, 2014 at 9:46PM
More Discussions
Over wintering a BEAUTIFUL Alice Dupont Mandavilla
I am new to trying to do anything, so please bear with...
Dunroven
bamboo
There is a type of bamboo that grows wild in iowa....
Lifeguard10
iowa unheated winter greenhouse
I have been experimenting with growing spinach, lettuce...
R.McD
proper watering for indoor plants
I put a little water on my impatiens. Does anyone know...
bradly44
Iowa Newbie
I've become very interested in shade gardening and...
bishop5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™