Should I Move Them To a Pot or Leave In the Ground?

DesertChick2June 21, 2011

I have 2 hydrangeas that i planted in a bed close to my front door that dont look like they are doing too great. I just really got into gardening this year, ive always loved plants, but never did much research or made much of an effort with my plants until thois year. it has become my new hobby and im learning more about it every day. anyway, these were some of the first additions to my garden this year, so i didnt know quite as much as i do now when i planted these guys. i did try to find a spot with morning sun, afternoon shade, though there is quite a few hours of sun. and i live in the southern california desert, and our average temp right now is 100 degrees every day. i water them first thing every morning, and sometimes again in the evening. when i planted them, i followed the instructions of digging a hole twice the size of the rootball, and i put lots of miracle grow soil down and around it. i have fertilized it every few weeks as well. they are definitly still alive, and there is even new growth(leaves, not blooms) but the blooms have changed color,(rather than the original pink and viloet, they are turning green and brown) and some of the leaves are brown at the edges. i am wondering whether there is something i can do to help them out, or if i should remove them from the ground to a large container and keep them in a shadier spot, like under my patio. thanks and hopefully someone will know what to do! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehearty(So ME z5a)

Stop fertilizing them. Hydrangeas aren't heavy feeders, but most importantly, their first year in the ground is about establishing healthy root systems, not about top growth. I don't even like the idea of MG soil in the hole, but you can't do anything about it now. However, you must stop adding additional fertilizer. Just plain water.

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 4:42PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ditas

Agree w/ mehearty 100% ~ don't worry too much ~ looks like the site is good, from your description. Hopefully the MG you used is the slow release pellets ~ if not just water well to wash off excess.

I'm glad you're into this rewarding hobby ~ keep up with it!

Bookmark   June 23, 2011 at 12:48AM
More Discussions
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
When to plant new hydrangeas? Zone 7
Hello! I had a new patio put in this fall and want...
Lrw2a
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
Sponsored Products
Missoni Home | Osage PW Neutral Pouf
YLiving.com
Silk 28-inch Potted Boston Fern
Overstock.com
Fabbian | Tile D95 E07 Ceiling Light
YLighting
Romanoff Black 10-Light Clear Heritage Handcut Crystal Chandelier 30W x 36H x 30
Bellacor
TroposAir Down Rods 72 in. Pure White Extension Downrod 405
$32.00 | Home Depot
Potenza Bar Cart - CB/D6008 CART
$526.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™