Yellow jackets and wicker furniture!

molie(z6 CT)June 7, 2008

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the place to go for my problem, but does anyone have any idea why yellow jackets land on my wicker deck furniture? They seem to enjoy flying INTO it, not the cushions but the wicker itself. They fly between the woven bands and spend a lot of time "inside" that furniture.

I really worry that someone will get stung without seeing them. Should I spray the furniture? With what? What will keep them away and not be harmful to humans?

Molie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Is this white wicker?
I have noticed over the years that Yellow Jackets seem to be more attracted to white than any other color, at least if I am out in a white T Shirt they whiz around me more so than if I have on a darker color.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 7:11AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Is it real wicker or the other man-made material? If real, then they are collecting material for their nest, I'd guess. Yellow jacket nests are made of a paper-like product, processed by the insects from all kinds of wood or paper sources.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 4:50PM
molie(z6 CT)

Kimmsr, it's natural rather than white, but it may have a finish of some kind of it.

Rhizo... it's real wicker,not man-made, and seems to be unraveling in spots. Soooo, they're looking for nesting material.... now what do I do? I am afraid that any insecticide will be absorbed into the material and then into the people that sit on the chairs.

How long do these critters nest? Are there any kinds of nontoxic materials/products that yellow jackets avoid? I ask because one thing I really enjoy after a long day is sitting in one of those chairs with a drink in my hand.

Sad Molie, here.

Bookmark   June 9, 2008 at 5:35PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Ha, I sympathize with you! I love to sit outside with a book (and a drink) only to have paper wasps land on the pages to collect nesting material!

You might try spraying your furniture with a clear coating of some kind (enamel, varnish, etc.) That's about the only thing that I can think of. I'd never suggest that you use a pesticide.

Bookmark   June 10, 2008 at 1:22PM
ashippy_jlogan_hotmail_com

I hadn't seen any yellow jackets so far this summer nor did I see many last year. I took a big cusion off of my couch.. I hadn't put anything on it yet.3 minutes past and I went back outside and they were all over it. It's white. Is there some kind of attraction?

Bookmark   June 21, 2011 at 7:44PM
More Discussions
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
is neem oil or azamax harmful to lacewings?
I have a terrible problem with white flies in my entire...
luvpatch2
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™