So... what are these things eating my roots?

karenreiJune 2, 2009

I have some plants indoors whose soil has been infested with some sort of insect. The first pot that was infested, shiso, has become dwarfed and not grown one bit since the infestation. The second pot that has become infested is my prize LED-grown pepper that had just started flowering, and now it's starting to lose its lower leaves. My first thought was, obviously, everyone's main target: fungus gnats. However, I've come to doubt this hypothesis.

1) The little white creatures that I see occasionally on the soil surface (never on the plants themselves) are clearly not wormy, which fungus gnat larvae are. They actually walk across the surface in a rather fast, legged manner (although they're too small to actually make out legs).

2) I've been treating my soil with BTi for a week and a half now, and I have nothing to show for it.

Sorry, no pictures -- they're too small, and duck out of sight too often. I tried an insecticidal soap coating on the top of the soil in case they're soft-bodied types that the soap can kill and in case they don't go deep enough into the pot. But if that doesn't do the trick, I'm thinking I'll have to up the ante and go with a pyrethrin soak.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Bt-i is only effective for larvae of certain members of the fly family, like fungus gnats. Don't waste your money if that's not what you have.

Why not try horticultural diatomaceous earth?

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 1:08PM
karenrei

I have some diatomaceous earth, but my experience is that it gets washed up by watering. Also, using the stuff indoors doesn't sound pleasant, from a respiratory standpoint.

Bt-i is only effective for larvae of certain members of the fly family, like fungus gnats.

Hence, the fact that it didn't work helped convince me that my fungus gnat hypothesis was wrong and to take a closer look at the critters ;)

I pyrethrined last night. I also managed to smash one of the adults to get a closer look at it. Pale, almost translucent yellowish body, translucent white wings, total size about 1-2mm. Didn't look like a whitefly, though, and the soil isn't whitefly habitat anyway.

Bookmark   June 3, 2009 at 3:42PM
mikeytitan(6b)

Have you thought about using nematodes?

http://gardeningzone.com/index.php?cPath=25_75

that is where I ordered Steinerema feltiae... I'll let you know in a few days if my assorted fly problem has gotten better =P

Bookmark   June 4, 2009 at 6:19PM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

You wrote "...the fact that it didn't work helped convince me that my fungus gnat hypothesis was wrong..." (and that after 1 1/2 weeks)

As it turns out, one must use Bti with every watering for at least 3 weeks to disrupt the gnat's life cycle.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 1:12AM
karenrei

I considered nematodes, but they're just so expensive. Plus, once they finished up the insects that were infesting my soil, they'd starve, as this is an indoor setup, not outdoor.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 4:03PM
More Discussions
How to get rid of gophers
I seem to be having a big problem with gophers and...
Amy - California
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
What is this bug? Help!
They're on my apricots and my tomatoes, sucking the...
MsMaximus
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™