Endless Summer - It's Just One Stick

westy1941(Boulder County, CO)June 12, 2009

I thought this was such a hardy one. Almost all of ES died over the winter and this is only northern Illinois - not Minnesota. It has ONE branch that is finally putting out a few leaves. Is it supposed to be heavily mulched in winter in spite of its 'hardiness' ? It was so full and beautiful last summer and this is the third year - it came back much fuller last Spring. And what about Blushing Bride? It actually came back looking like a plant and it's three feet away. I'm going to mulch the hell out of them this Fall. Just wonder if anyone has any ideas why most of an ES would die back in its third Spring.

Westy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ginkgonut(4)

Different year, different weather, two different cultivars. Mulching can help protect them from the extremes of midwestern winters and springs. Mine get a pile of leaves over them in late fall and they look like they always have despite the coldest winter in many years.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
westy1941(Boulder County, CO)

Okay that does it.....the argument every fall is the leaves. He wants to get rid of them, so he bags them up and lets the garbage people take them. This year I am mowing them several times to chomp 'em up to put around the hydrangeas -- or else I'm leaving him. I'm sure it was the late Spring freezes now that you mention it. The Blushing Bride is just a few feet closer to the house but the house is brick and I'm sure that held enuf heat to protect it more than ES.

Bookmark   June 12, 2009 at 11:33PM
More Discussions
What am I doing wrong???
Each summer I have several "Endless Summer"...
tracey3345
Ericaceous compost for hydrangea
I have grown hydrangeas in containers since last summer....
jchad214
Pruning Hydrangeas
Should I prune my hydrangeas this spring?
kgibbs25
Temperatures supposed to be in mid-twenties...
Saturday night here in piedmont NC...I have seven fairly...
nini804
Nikko Blue size
I planted a tiny bare root stick of a Nikko Blue Last...
NVL4
Sponsored Products
Safari Zebra Giclee LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Aris Modern Bathroom Mirror
Overstock.com
Summer Silhouette Giclee LED Reading Light Plug-In Sconce
Lamps Plus
Furniture of America Marvey 75-inch Modern Cappuccino 5-Tier Corner Bookcase/ Di
Overstock.com
White Linen Shade Chrome Frame Modern Pendant Lighting
ParrotUncle
Jaxx Game Sac - XL Microsuede Foam Bag Chair - 10841112
$174.52 | Hayneedle
Jazz Brushed Nickel One-Light Mini Pendant with 12-Inch Frosted Crystal Glass Sh
$154.00 | Bellacor
Wood Molding & Trim: Home Legend Flooring Strand Woven Toast 9/16 in. Thick x
$29.98 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™