new hydrangea 'mom'

ladybugsmom192(9)June 29, 2010

hiya! i'm quite happy to have finally gotten one and it's gorgeous! i'm not sure exactly which type it is, i'm pretty sure it's a lacetop or mophead based on pictures and research though. it's a deep pink with deep green leaves and i got her from home depot.

now on with my questions: (and yes, i did search this forum)

- i'm anxious about transplanting it and am hearing conflicting info about when to do it - fall, or anytime if it's in a container to be transplanted. she's in a 5 gallon container.

- it has big blooms and big leaves, and upon inspection it seems like the leaves are blocking proper growth and formation of the blooms and other branches. so would it be ok to cut/prune the leaves?

- what's the best kind of fertilizer to use for hydrangeas in general, as i plan to get more.

thanks for your help!

angela

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
madeyna(7/8)

I would plant it now but only if its not 80 or above. Thats what our local nursery says but I have planted in heat , I just don,t ruff up the roots. Plant it in semi shade for your area. I like to move them around in pots when I first get them so I can find a spot where the plant is happy. If its happy potted for a week in a area then it will more than likely be happy planted there. If its to hot to plant you can also dig a hole and put the pot in it so the plant won,t blow over and it will keep the roots cooler than being in a above ground pot.

Bookmark   June 29, 2010 at 11:19AM
More Discussions
What Hydrangea to grow in full sun
Hi, I'm a total newbie to gardening. I want to plant...
Kachana
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
So Cal Hydrangeas growth is stunt
Hi, I live about 3 miles from the beach in Southern...
nikole220
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™