termites vs. ants

cootielu(z8 TX)June 7, 2005

Is it true termites and ants will not coexist? We found something that looks like termites, but ants were among them. Could they be wood ants? They come into our kitchen from this nest they have outside next to our back door, in our wood paneling.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's time to call a professional. It's possible to bait for carpenter ants and probably kill the entire nest, but you need a professional to inspect the damage and to determine if you have termites. Since you do know what kind of ant or termite......you need to call on someone who can ID these for you. That is the only way to protect your home.

Termites and carpenter ants can't co-exist.....the ants EAT termites! If you see carpenter ants milling around with termites, it's because they're chasing them!!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: carpenter ant fact sheet

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 4:11PM
chopstocky(z6 NY Sunset 37)

Well just like anything in nature, there are no rules. My family had a house in the woods where there was a huge colony of both carpenter ants and termites. To them a house is a big habitat and they were doing some damage on it. They can be on opposite ends of the place and never see each other. We had to get a professional in to take care of them.
-Chops

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 5:43PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Ants will always have pinched waists while termites never will have. If what you have has pinched waists they are ants, if not they are termites. Of the 5 species of termites you have in Texas there are different colors so there is no good way to tell which by body color.

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 7:03AM
Tecie

I have a rather large ant hill that has spung up on/at my wooden privacy fence. I really don't mind if they live there, however, last year I put in a flower bed next to a different portion of the fence which included amending/adding soil against it to plant some annuals. Then in the fall, I got around to painting my fence and moved away the dirt and found to my surprise (wood supposed to be pressure-treated, but that's another story) termites eating away at the wood. Took care of that prob. and now put bricks against the wood if I put in beds along the fence. So, my question is, since ants eat/chase termites, is it ok to leave the ant hill where it lays?

Bookmark   May 5, 2013 at 9:36AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Unless the ants are creating major problems there is no real need to do anything that might harm them.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:13AM
More Discussions
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food Grade for pests?
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food...
pectin232
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
Isolating a bed bug colony in my back yard
I recently inherited about thirty boxes of books. They...
Fritzlang
boric acid v. 20 Mule Team borax
My beds, yard, and walkways have been invaded by colonies...
Pirata
Sponsored Products
USA vs CAN Hockey Gallery-Wrapped Canvas
$74.99 | zulily
Avanity MODERO-VS36-B Modero 36-Inch Floor Standing Vanity Combo in Espresso
Blue Bath
Avanity MODERO-VS36-CG Modero 48-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - MODERO-VS48-CG-A
Hayneedle
Avanity WESTWOOD-VS30-EB-C Westwood 30 in. Floor Standing Vanity Combo
Blue Bath
Avanity BRENTWOOD-VS31-NW-A Brentwood 31 vanity with black granite top
Blue Bath
Avanity MERLOT-VS24-ES Merlot 24-in. Single Bathroom Vanity with Optional Mirror
$843.80 | Hayneedle
Avanity SONOMA-VS39-RK Sonoma 39-in. Single Bathroom Vanity - SONOMA-VS39-RK
Hayneedle
Stuffin Burger Maker
$6.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™