What is eating my green beans?

or2aztransplantJune 6, 2010

Hi,

I have something that is destroying my green bean plants. I think I might have a couple things going. Tried insectisidal soap, but can't tell if it makes any difference. They eat holes in the leaves and the leaves eventually yellow and die.

I saw what looked to be a Potato Psyllid on the plant today after lots of searching, but there are also tons of tiny black dots all over the leaves. At first I thought they were eggs of some sort, but today I saw them moving. They are very small. I also saw a small beetle with a "V" on its back which resembled a leaf-footed beetle. It was also very small. Maybe 5-6 mm. Link to flickr page of pests below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of pests

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

The pictures are too small to see for sure but the description sounds a lot like Flea Beetles. They can be difficult to control although an early season method, Floating Row Covers, is very good. The use of Insecticidal Soap to control Flea Beetles has had varied success as has a mixture of 1 medium sized onion, 1 hot pepper, and 1 garlic whizzed together in a blemder with 1 cup of water and allowed to steep for a minimum of 24 hours after which it is strained and diluted about 10 to 1 and sprayed around the garden.
As the ATTRA web site indicates Neem Oil and pyrethrin based products, used very carefully because they are broad spectrum poisons, might be a last resort method of control.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Flea Beetles

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 8:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
or2aztransplant

Thanks for the reply. That could be what they are. Sorry about the size of the picture, that was the closest I could get to them because they are so small. Zooming in didn't help.

Figure 3 of this link shows what I am seeing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another image

Bookmark   June 7, 2010 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Digging pest?
Can anyone identify the pest digging tunnels in my...
vadxx001
Springtails
We just bought a new home and our back yard is infested...
sthelp
Yellow Jackets in my house.
Yellow Jackets have been getting in through a spot...
BobbyA
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food Grade for pests?
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food...
pectin232
insect id
Anyone know what this little guy is? Found loads of...
Dean Maunder
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™