Mold on Japanese Flowering Lilac

kelly922June 2, 2010

Hi there - I planted a Japanese Flowering Lilac about 6 yrs ago in an area with full sun & great circulation...nothing is near it but some catmint around its base that I transplanted just last summer. I know they take a while to establish themselves however there are still so few blooms...and the tree is now about 13' tall. I noticed about 4 yrs ago the start of a light greenish/greyish mold covering its trunk about 4' up. I also noticed that there is a small canker on the base of the tree where it might have gotten nipped by our landscapers along the way. There is some dieback on mostly upper branches/twigs(very small in diameter). Any suggestions for restoring this very near & dear to my heart Lilac tree ? I really don't want to rip it out and start over again especially since it's near our patio in a highly visible spot. I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

AS for "greenish/greyish mold covering its trunk about 4' up" perhaps that's lichen? If so, not to worry.

If nipped by someone, the outcome depends upon how serious is the "nip."

Bookmark   June 2, 2010 at 8:30PM
kelly922

Thx for the lichen suggestion - makes me feel a little better. It is fastened hard to the tree - almost like a barnacle - so that would make sense.
Hard to say how bad the nip is, I guess. I can tell you that the size of the canker is about 3 1/2" long by no more than 1" wide. (Bums me out) I know I can't get rid of it but any ideas as to how I can remedy the situation without bringing a tree expert in? So many trees live a long happy life despite a canker.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 6:53AM
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

The best remedy is to leave it be.

Bookmark   June 3, 2010 at 2:42PM
kelly922

That I can do - thx much! :-)

Bookmark   June 4, 2010 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Possums
While some people think they are cute, personally,...
ancient
larve identification
i have a organic compost pile. years of success. i...
bob41
TomCat Mole Killer?
Well as of yesterday I discovered evidence of our first...
katefisher
Catch & release, how far to release?
It appears we have a family of raccoons nearby as we've...
bossyvossy
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™