Pump pressure issues

Ricksindoorgarden(5A)March 9, 2013

I'm using a Rio 3100 HP pump to feed my system. There are 11 bato buckets and all fed off a 1/2 inch pipe with tees and shut off valves for each. They reduce down to a 1/4" mini tube about 2 feet from the buckets. I wanted to make circular rings with drilled holes but the pressure is pretty bad, almost no flow. I was thinking to make more uniform pressure I could mount a 5 gallon bucket at the ceiling and pump into it with an overflow returning to the sump and feed the distribution manifold with a line from the bottom of the bucket. I would then get about 3 psi of pressure from the head. Has anyone done this or have any suggestions? Even my Little Giant pump is having trouble on the system right behind this one and its a bigger pump, much more powerful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ricksindoorgarden(5A)

These are the drip distributors I made, I started with 1/16" holes then upped the size to 1/8" (about 15 holes in each) but the flow is barely a drip.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:01PM
Ricksindoorgarden(5A)

These are the drip distributors I made, I started with 1/16" holes then upped the size to 1/8" (about 15 holes in each) but the flow is barely a drip.

Bookmark   March 9, 2013 at 11:02PM
cole_robbie(6)

Those remind me of dribble rings. I put a link to them below.

Mag drive pumps just aren't designed to make pressure, nor is any transfer pump. Obviously they make a little to do their job, but it's not much. A pump that makes pressure will have a psi rating, like a well pump. There are also a lot of cheap DC pumps that make pressure for RV water systems.

I would swap out the pump for one that made pressure. You'll want to use manufactured emitters that will deliver a specific GPM at their working pressure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dribble Rings

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 5:31PM
hex2006

With six to eight 30psi 3gph emitters per bucket, the Aquatec 5503-AEE-B656 (120v) $134 or 5503-AEE-B636 (12v dc) $109 would do the trick. Run for 5 minutes every 3 hours.

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Sea 90 any good?
Is Sea 90 any good for Kratke non circulating method? I...
Lee Williams
PVC Tower System - Adding oxygen mid-stream
I have built my first hydro system from 4" PVC...
topher_cohen
resident Teal 4s For Sale of Illinois
Quentin Townsend is a resident Teal 4s For Sale of...
daserigunimi
Using Gravel as a growing media
This thread is created, and only for people who have...
homehydro
Making the aquarium to hydroponic switch! Advice?
Hello, I have been an aquarium geek for quite some...
Paulywog0667
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™