Moving dilema

edufrin(8)June 21, 2009

I've just recently put my house on the market and my realtor asked me a question that has been bugging me for days... "Do I want to reserve any of your plants?" At the time I said "no" but now I'm having second thoughts about my Limelight, my first gardening purchase in my very first garden and it is about 2-3 feet around with lots of little green branches. I live in Michigan now but plan on moving to Texas, would a move in a pot hurt my hydrangea? If I dug it up I would do it now so that the prospective new owners wouldn't even know what they'd be missing. Is it dangerous to dig up and keep in a pot (for a few months probably) as it prepares to flower? It would be relatively simple to dig as I just planted it last spring in a raised bed. Has anyone out there ever done this or have any advise for me?

I'm struggling with that old Chinese proverb of the two women fighting over the child and the true mother gives him up so that she doesn't hurt him. I don't want to kill my hydrangea when it could do better just left alone. =P

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Have you already visited your new and have a location chosen for the plant? Some areas of Texas have caliche soil that will force you to keep the plant in a pot because it is difficult for plant roots to break thru (and the soil is extremely alkaline). Other areas of the state have clay which does not drain well but which some hydrangeas will tolerate if also given amendments with some regularity. East Texas is perhaps where the soil may be best for growing hydrangeas.

Paniculatas will need to be planted so they get shade starting at 11pm this time of the year. Otherwise the leaves will scorch from the sun and the blooms will brown out. Since the big thing with Limelight is the color of the immature blooms, you want to limit the amount of sunlight so the blooms do not quickly turn from green to white. Thus, stopping sun exposure even earlier than 11am (6-9am only for example) might be a good idea in this case.

I would also try to propagate via cuttings if you are attached to this plant, in case the transplant/move does not work for some reason.

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 9:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
edufrin(8)

Thanks Luis for the advise! I don't know the exact location of our new house but I know it will be in the Spring area (North West of Houston). I've heard that it is a good location and to top that off we are only looking at houses with mature trees on the property. I've tried to propagate this Limelight but no result has been good... I'm not loosing hope, though.

I had no idea that the sunlight made the early blooms turn white prematurely, learn something new everyday!

Bookmark   June 21, 2009 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Wanted: Big blooms in shade, Gulf Coast/Texas
Hi folks - I've been nursing a couple of ES hydrangeas...
cagoldbear
I assume all is lost. ?
Deer have decimated almost all of my hydrangeas - probably...
luckyladyslipper
Hydrangea Blooms
A young macrophylla bloom. Post your pics!
catkin
Everlasting series
I'm a grower in RI and tried the Everlasting series...
theplayer
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™