Annabelle and Blushing Bride

nanaconJune 11, 2010

Perhaps someone can shed some light on why these plants seem to have strange colors.

Last year my Annabelle was covered with beautiful white flowers. This years the flowers seem to have a blue edging as they are starting to bloom.

Blushing Bride is beginning to bloom a lime green color. Last year the flowers weren't the soft pink they were supposed to be, probably because I didn't check the PH on the soil. They ended up sort of a light purple color. My fault on that one.

Thanks if anyone can help. Both plants seem very happy where they're living and are covered with buds.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coralb(7)

I can't speak to Annabelles since I do not have any. I do have 2 BB's. They will not be pure white as the flowers age. They start lime green, then white, then a pink/purple/blue tint. They can have a blue tint instead of pink in acidic soil. Sounds like yours in moving towards the blue end of the spectrum.

Bookmark   June 11, 2010 at 11:48AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I've been growing Annabelle for years and have never seen any bluish shades on it. Are you sure yours wasn't mislabeled?

Fortunately, hydrangeas are so lovely that even the mislabeled ones can't truly be considered "mistakes," can they!

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 9:54AM
nanacon

It's definitely an Annabelle. It's been covered with beautiful white flowers for two years now.
This is the first time I've seen the blue on it. That's what is so confusing.

Bookmark   June 12, 2010 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
Need help with hydrangea companions
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is...
suz9601
Oakleaf Hydrangeas and Late Freezes
I will be planting a Snow Queen Oakleaf Hydrangea and...
samnsarah
How are those limelight hedges looking? (pic)
I know a lot of us were planting limelight hedges this...
joannemb
Little Lime and Limelight Hydrangea
Both hydrangeas have (some) branches that are somewhat...
gardenbug
Propogating Hydrangea
Hi, My neighbors have just put up a 6 foot high fence...
Jon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™