sabadilla dust anyone?

vieja_gw(z7NM)July 20, 2005

I have used sabadilla dust in the past for successful control of squash bugs but can no longer find any ... had Red Devil written on the bag I had.

Also, has anyone used DEMON? I ordered it online as a powder and make up a spray for bugs around the outside of the house; sure works on roaches and supposed to be harmless to animals and children once it dries but still keeps working on the bugs. Made from pyrethrins I believe.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Pyrethriod, not pyrethrin. The former are synthetic and have a much longer lasting capacity. The actual active ingredient in Demon is cypermethrin, a very commonly used pyrethroid. It should not be considered harmless, however. Anyone who has been ill, who is very young or old, has an impaired liver function, or is on medication that may effect liver function should not be exposed to this product.

It is a catagory II (EPA signal word is 'warning')pesticide, which makes it worthy of finding out why! You should protect your skin and your eyes when using this product, as it can cause irritation. But, I think the real hazard is in the storage and breakdown of this material. According to the MSDS on Demon WP, hydrogen cyanide gas can form in the container under normal conditions, as well as in storage in high temperatures. Eeek.

Just didn't want you to think you were using pyrethrins.

Bookmark   July 20, 2005 at 6:07PM
gardennutjoe

Dunhill Chemical makes a sabadilla product called veratran D @ $196 / 50 lb. It's on sale now for 25% off from Peaceful Valley organic garden products (groworganic.com). I don't know of another sabadilla product still in production.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 10:26AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It's worth noting that sabadilla products are difficult to find because of the numbers of side effects reported after its use, both for commercial users and homeowners.

Bookmark   August 13, 2009 at 12:06PM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Using Sabadilla today is greatly frowned on because it is a very broad spectrum poison and has been found to be as bad as the Carbaryls and organophosphates, although not quite as bad as another "natural" poison, Arsenic.

Bookmark   August 14, 2009 at 7:10AM
More Discussions
Chipmunks in the walls!
I've discovered chipmunks that are getting into my...
dadofsixj
chipmunks - wondering about onion
I read somewhere that planting allium bulbs keep chipmunks...
steelskies
Something in my closet, maybe
Please I hope somene can help me!!! Most of my t-shirts...
lme2376
Coleus crisis
I have been having a lot of trouble with my coleus...
brown_panda
What's in my mulch?
I have a large mulch bed (the Texas native mulch that...
astro2014
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™