You might want to check out 'Merritt's Supreme' at Lowe's because

Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)June 19, 2014

Lowe's (and the grower Kurt Weiss Greenhouses) is doing it again, selling all kinds of oddball cultivars of H. macrophylla with Merritt's Supreme tags on them. Fortunately for collectors and testers, these are highly rare.

Today, I found what is *highly likely* to be the new intros Kolmaru / Magical Ruby Red (Merritt's does not exhibit this deep shade of red or growth habit) and Kolmagics / Magical Sunfields. The first could also be Hot Red / Agrihydradrie and second one could also be Qufu / Magical Greenfire but it's too early to tell. Green Shadow (also spotted in the mix) is the parent of these as well as Horwack / Pistachio and the current F&E red 'Maltisse'.

Ruby Red and Sunfields:

Also carrying the same tags were likely Kolmgarip / Everlasting Garnet, Hortmahar / Everlasting Harmony, and some others I could not distinguish.

Later identified was also Pink Sensation, which is unique because it has extremely thick stems, large inflorescences, frilled petals. It blooms a creamy white and immediately changes to flat bubblegum pink.

All plants are in 1.5 gallon containers for $16.98

This post was edited by Springwood_Gardens on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 20:44

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Prettypetals_GA_7-8

Will these stay red and pink or will they change to blue like the others do in my garden?

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 12:24AM
Springwood_Gardens(6B Pittsburgh)

They could go somewhat blue or purple. This said, there is a lot of red pigment in the ones I photographed so it would be somewhat difficult unless the soil was highly acidic.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 12:42AM
sandyl(Zone 6B -7)

I have also found that they do not stay the color in my garden as when I purchase them and I use garden lime on the pinks and the blueing on the blue one's. When I plant them is the only time I see them for what I purchased them for. I haul water from the creek or use rain water to water them. I don't use tap water for my hydrangea's

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 1:59PM
mzdee(6b)

I saw those today! I thought,"That sure doesn't look like my Merritt." Now I'm going to have to buy one :)

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 6:30PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

Sadly not in my local store-however did get some very nice ES,BB and TnS for 7.94 at Wal-Mart as marked half off for burnt blooms. Think I will plant them at the church were they will be long loved.

Bookmark   June 21, 2014 at 9:02PM

Here is Mars (NOT Proven Winners) and Pink Sensation:

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 5:45PM
hokierustywilliamsbu

Very nice but not here-will check other Lowes and HD as will travel some tomorrow...

Bookmark   June 22, 2014 at 7:44PM

Everlasting Harmony?? These were opening cream white with mint tinge and are now maturing to light pink with green streaks.

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 8:31AM
More Discussions
Are these stems diseased?
Are These little blackish spots on the stems normal...
oberci
Hydrangea has never bloomed
Hi everyone, I purchased three Forever and Ever hydrangeas...
stridn
Endless Summer Hydrangea Wont Bloom
Hi. I have 2 Endless Summer Hydrangea's. This is the...
emba129
Blue Billow Hardy in Chicago (Zone 5)
Looking to see if anyone has grown Blue Billow in the...
kfless
Can I prune hydrangeas and loropetalum now??
So we have some hydrangeas (blue and purple flowers...
hiddenspring
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™