Flood and drain timer questions

dan_nz_gardenerApril 11, 2013

Hey all,

I have just about finished my flood and drain Aquaponics set up but am at a hurdle with finding a timer that does what I want. I have 4 bath tubs and an indexing valve that cycles through each tub. And bell syphon to drain each one. I have a large pump because a large flow rate was needed to drive the cam on the indexing valve. The problem I have is the standard timers only have 15 minute increments. But as the pump flows faster than the drain can take it away it overflows after around 6 minutes. So I need a digital timer that I can set in minute increments for all 4 baths and just keeps repeating.
I bought an HPM digital timer but astonishingly I can't just set it to repeat the 8 on off cycles. I thought this would be a standard feature on a digital timer.
Does anyone have a timer to recommend or advice please?
Cheers
Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grizzman

I recommend you put an overflow pipe in each of your tubs that sends the nutrient back to the reservoir. that way it will never overflow and the 15 minute increment should work fine.
Overflow pipes are pretty standard in EnF systems. you really shouldn't build one without it. (what happens if the timer fails in the closed position and the pump doesn't turn off)

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 11:05AM
cole_robbie(6)

I agree about the overflow safety pipe.

It sounds like what you want is a cycle timer. I put a link to some of them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: worms way timers

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 12:51PM
dan_nz_gardener

Thanks for that. All tubs now have overflow pipes attached and timer works perfectly.
Dan

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 3:27PM
Ricone

I agree with the Over Flow pipe and might add a metering Valve of some type to restrict GPM flow. Most pond pumps are simple centrifugal pumps that won't build pressure. That is why they have Height restrictions. A simple in line Ball valve should do the trick.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 8:19AM
More Discussions
Started the hydro garden
I watched Bobby grow long enough and got busy. I bought...
radrob
Lettuce is infected
Can anyone tell me what my lettuce is being infected...
SNosko
Non-profit sustainable farm needs help to re-plumb hydro-system
We had two old hydroponics grow tables both about 4x4...
brettkp808
Kratky Method Lettuce
I have been growing lettuce indoors using the Kratky...
nuverde
DWC leaves yellowing
I have a DWC system and am using Rapid Rooter Plugs...
jjocsak
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™