WANTED: Iris Planter Help!

Paul.UKWILDCAT(6)June 4, 2013

Hello Iris lovers! I will be moving houses in a year, so I was hoping to skip putting my new Iris in the ground and just container grow them, each variety in a separate container. What size planter should I place them in, starting out with just 1 rhizome per planter to start? I obviously want them to rapidly grow and multiply, will they have enough space in a planter to be successful? My original idea was to place each one in a balcony rail planter about 6" tall x 1' wide and 2' long.

Thanks for the help yall!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
val1(z4 UT)

From what I understand, iris do not like to be in containers. However, I have purchased iris in gallon pots before. I put some dwarf iris in a gallon pots last summer because I needed to find a place for them. They overwintered in the pot and look fine but I will definitely put them in the ground this year. I hope someone with more knowledge answers your post too.

Bookmark   June 5, 2013 at 9:40AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
savvy121

I think I just read today that at least a 12" diameter pot per rhizome is best to give them room to multiply. This sounds about right since that's about how much room one clump takes up in my garden.

Bookmark   June 12, 2013 at 2:11AM
More Discussions
HAVE: Bearded iris
While my bearded iris are in bloom & I can put...
Nancy zone 6
HAVE: Dwarf Iris for Trade
I have the following dwarf iris for trade: Michael...
val1
HAVE: Have: Eternal Bliss & Clarence Iris
I have the IMMORTALITY & Clarence Iris to trade...
savvy121
HAVE: Monsignor
Have this Historic for trade... Looking for TB, STB's...
happytomato2008
WANTED: Tall Bearded Iris Trade
I am so glad to see this on Garden Web! I am going...
greg-papps
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™