Heartbreak

chris-e(7 MD)May 14, 2012

I have managed to dodge the bullet so far, but this spring two of my oldest, favorite plants are showing signs of HVX. I have had both of these for at least 5 years and they were bought from a reputable dealer, but I don't keep records, so I don't know which one.

I can't blame the dealer, since it has taken 5 years for it to show. Rainforest Sunrise and Summer Breeze are not available in Big Box Stores.

Rainforest Sunrise

Summer Breeze

I got a new camera, but unfortunately my first pictures are of this! It is HVX, isn't it?

chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cindyj(5b)

I think you're still dodging bullets. That just looks like frost bite to me.
Cj

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 11:49PM
Gesila(MI Z5)

Yep, your Rainforest Sunrise looks just like my Maui Buttercups that has frost damage. And, I just looked up Maui Buttercups in the HL and saw that Rainforest Sunrise is a sport of Maui Buttercups.

And your Summer Breeze looks like many of my hostas that were damaged in the freeze that have less substance in their leaves than Maui Buttercups/Rainforest Sunrise.

Gesila

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 12:11AM
caliloo(z6/7)

Definitely cold damage. You (and your hostas) are fine.

Alexa

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 5:13AM
dray67(7)

Yea! We here in MD had a crazy spring. Temps in the 80s in February and a frost in May. I'm glad to hear others think it is just cold damage.
I'd would have been heart broken after 5 years of patients.
Dave

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 6:31AM
paul_in_mn(4b)

I'm seeing similar here on some with yellow in leaves - don't think we were near a frost - just tender new tissue that is not hardened off and got damaged by temps or winds - spring dessication.

Paul

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:33AM
coll_123(5)

Yeah, many of mine are showing signs, too. Maui B, Rainforest sunrise, Emerald Ruff Cut. First the tissue starts to look transparent in the rain, then turns white, then turns brown. Bah. I attribute it to the constant rain and cool temps, but who knows. Its like the mystery of the Frances Williams desiccation, same kind of thing.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:46AM
hosta_freak(z6 NC)

Sorry Chris,but that is freeze damage. My Rainforest Sunrise has some of that too. BTW,I got both my Rainforest Sunrise and Summer Breeze from Lowes a few years ago,and they are HVX free! All Big box stores don't get the same plants all the time. Phil

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:00AM
CindyCRNA(6a)

I have few that look like that but it is sunburn as my hostas leafed out before the trees did this summer.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:45PM
chris-e(7 MD)

Thanks so much everyone! I was ready to dig my beauties up and was very sad. I have frost damage on some other plants, but it is more obvious, leaf curling and shredding, so I knew what that was. I am so happy, thanks again!

chris

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 2:57PM
gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)

I think it looks like sunburn. It warmed up quickly before the trees had leafed out.

Deanna

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:11PM
chris-e(7 MD)

it sure did! And then it went down to freezing a couple of nights after it had hit high temps!

Poor plants didn't know what to do!

chris

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 9:28PM
More Discussions
Where to buy hostas
I am compiling a list of hosta vendors for the Dixie...
mcneillsr
mulch around hostas. leaves, etc.
I have always read that you need to clean up the hostas...
steelskies
Spring Pips Showing-time span from first plant to last?
Especially for those of you with a large amount of...
santamiller
Hosta choice - comments please
Thinking about either Humpback Whale or Blue Angel...
mxk3
Here we go again !
I seem to recall that about this time last year I posted...
tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™