picture winged flies

webhead1968July 16, 2007

Hi,

I have a problem with picture winged flies. I never noticed them until we took down a 100 foot tulip tree and put up a white PVC fence. I sprayed the yard with ortho max and they have increase in population since then. Any help with getting this problem under control will be apreciated. Oh yeah, keep in mind that I have a very curious 2 year old at home.

Here is a link so you can see what I am talking about.

picture winged flies

Thanks,

John

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001(z8aPortland, OR)

What sort of problem are you having with them?

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 12:05AM
webhead1968

Hi,
They seem to be killing off the leaves on some sun flowers and the population is increasing in size daily. I would like to stop the population from growing because we do a lot of entertaining in the yard and they are starting to get annoying and ruin some of the live plants.

Thanks.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 7:00AM
Kimmsr(4a/5b-MI)

Spraying with any broad spectrum poison, such as you have, will kill of any beneficial insects that could aid in control of these that may not necessarily be the problem you think anyway. Nothing I can find tells me that this is an insect tht really needs to be controlled and they really do very little harm.

Bookmark   July 17, 2007 at 7:29AM
kinetic

Its been awhile, but any luck in solving your problem with picture winged flies? I'm amazingly not coming up with any anwers on the web. They are a huge nuisance for us spending time outside. They seem to gravitate to plastics, like our child's play toys, the side of our above ground pool, etc. They are unsightly and everywhere you look, there they are!

Bookmark   May 30, 2011 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Star Jasmine sick - what's wrong?
I was given a beautiful Star Jasmine Bonsai frommy...
RickysGirl
TomCat Mole Killer?
Well as of yesterday I discovered evidence of our first...
katefisher
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food Grade for pests?
Do I use an Industrial Diatomaceous Earth or a Food...
pectin232
What bug or animal builds this?
Hi there, I've lurked on this website for a while and...
Bullsweet
Mice in the house! Help
About three months ago my wife detected in odor in...
photogman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™